I Is it possible to have synchronized clocks in a rotating system?

There isn't one while Homer is moving around the circle. That motion is non-inertial.
I thought Homer had just gotten to the circle.

Ibix

Science Advisor
Insights Author
OK Romer walked to the front of the train......
But that would lead to his clock being out of sync with the front-of-train clock.

I agree the situation has similarities to the twin paradox, but there are key differences too.

Come on! In the frame where the train is initially at rest, the clocks do not start out in the same position but end up in the same position. One of them must have moved and they were initially at rest.
Don't blame me for that! That is what the Relativity Theory requires.

But that would lead to his clock being out of sync with the front-of-train clock.

I agree the situation has similarities to the twin paradox, but there are key differences too.
I was positing that all re-locations on the train were after the speed-up but prior to circular motion. The twin analogy assumes synchronization after the speed-up........perhaps I misread the OP intent.

perhaps I misread the OP intent
It seems like you have. None of what you say looks anything like the scenario we are discussing.

Don't blame me for that! That is what the Relativity Theory requires
And relativity theory says that, given your statement that the train clocks are initially synchronized in the rest frame of the train while it is on the straight track, when the front and rear clocks meet after the front clock has gone around the circle once, the two clocks do not show the same reading. So if you are accepting what relativity theory requires, then you have to accept that.

I am closing the thread because the correct answer and analysis have been given and there is no point in going around in circles.

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving

Hot Threads