Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it possible to increase the speed of light? (transmissions)

1. Aug 6, 2003 #1
    I'm new here, and I am working on a script for the screen. What I have now is a man who the audience believes to be in space, but he is really isolated on earth. Now anyway, suppose an infant was put to sleep for 20 years, thus alienating dependence on parents or other role models.

The point is to make the audience think the guy is in space, so after twenty years the guy would be 2.7 billion miles from earth, and as a result it would take 4.25 hours for a transmission to be received.

Now anyone can see that this would present a problem in the film medium. Is it possible to have a short transmission time?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 6, 2003 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

It is a work of fiction, right? You seen any Star Trek?

4. Aug 6, 2003 #3
    Well yes it is fiction, but its not a space story. What the story is about is experimenting on a human in preperation for a 'global mind control system.' I figured that the initial tests would be on an isolated human who thinks he is in space.

5. Aug 7, 2003 #4
    why can t he just be in space a few light seconds away? in orbit behind mars or something? it ll be plenty isolated, and its only a few light seconds away

6. Aug 7, 2003 #5
    Re: Re: Is it possible to increase the speed of light? (transmissions)

I thought it took about 8 minutes for light to reach Mars from Earth, in the same fact that it takes about 8 minutes for light from the sun to reach the Earth.

7. Aug 7, 2003 #6
    You make an interesting point, so no matter what his point in orbit it would take 8 minutes to receive a signal?

8. Aug 7, 2003 #7

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Re: Re: Is it possible to increase the speed of light? (transmissions)

The light lag between Earth and Mars varies between 3 min and 22 min. The minimum when opposition occurs in late Aug., and the Maxumum when conjuntion occurs in late Aug.

It only hits these extremes about every 15 years, the average variation over the synodic period of Mars is a bit less.

9. Aug 7, 2003 #8
    Well, for the sake of accuracy I need to know how long it would take to receive a transmission from Earth.

10. Aug 7, 2003 #9

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, it depends on how far away he is and the type of orbit. Is there any particuliar reason that he has to be such a great distance away? Would being in the same orbit as the moon work? In that case, you would only be looking at a little over a second in signal delay.

11. Aug 7, 2003 #10
    (Do we, or PF, get film credit for this?)

You can, as it is fiction, tell the person, who is supposed to be "way out there", that you have perfected a "tachyonic transmission system" of communications, therefore you could easily play with the rates/times of information transference/transmission.

As tachyions travel faster then light (considered to be backwards in time) they can arrive there in a very nice, timely, timeframe.

Does that help?

12. Aug 7, 2003 #11
    I think the moon's orbit could work actually.

13. Aug 7, 2003 #12

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In that case, just have him supposedly placed at one of the Lagrange points, either 60 degrees ahead of or behind the Moon in its orbit. These points are gravitationally stable and anything placed there tends to stay there.

14. Aug 7, 2003 #13

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Is it possible to increase the speed of light? (transmissions)

Janus,
    Reread this post, I think you may have a typo? There is a LOT happening in late Aug!

15. Aug 7, 2003 #14
    why don't you have him orbit at a point over the dark side of the moon, the dark side of the moon is almost completely undetectable from earth you would probably have to set up another communications relay around the dark side of the moon so that transmission could occur. The problem with putting something orbiting mars is, I would assume, that every so often, the planets would get in the way of transmission, and you would have radio silence, just like Apollo 13 did when it swung around the moon.

16. Aug 7, 2003 #15

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is it possible to increase the speed of light? (transmissions)

Late Aug is is when the Earth's orbit aligns with Mars' perihelion. So when Mars is at perihelion then, we have a close oppostion, and Mars and Earth are at their closest.

Conversely, Mars and Earth are at their greatest separation when Mars is at Aphelion when Earth and Mar's are 180° apart in their orbits( in conjuntion). Mars aphelion is 180° from its perihelion, and Earth must be 180° from Mars at conjunction. This brings us right back to late Aug for maximum separation.

17. Aug 7, 2003 #16
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is it possible to increase the speed of light? (transmissions

you mean that it is next late august that they are at their farthest point accross correct? because they can't be the closest and the farthest from each other in 2 weeks, without taking the time to calculate it, i doubt a planet even moves about 10 light minutes in 2 weeks.

18. Aug 7, 2003 #17

Janus

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is it possible to increase the speed of light? (transmiss

No, It would be several years later, not the next Aug.

19. Aug 7, 2003 #18

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Is it possible to increase the speed of light? (transmissions)

I am sorry Janus, I must be pretty dense. Do we need to specify the year with this? How else can Mars be both closest and furthest in the same week?

Edit:
    Opps I missed the previous post. My question has already been answered.

20. Aug 7, 2003 #19

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Now for a on topic post.

I am not sure what your problem is, you need a long delay in communications. That is EASY to do. If you had your fellow in space and were trying to trick him into thinking he were on earth and needed to reduce the communications time, that would be hard.

I do not see why writting in a communications delay would be hard, make it as long, or as short, as you want and write it into the story.

21. Aug 7, 2003 #20
    I had originally thought of the story set in space, a man destined to live his life inside a cold and lonely ship, for the sake of observation. As you can see there is a magic hole in that logic. Why would they spend billions upon billions to fund this project in space, when they could just make the subject think he was in space for a fraction of the cost?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?