Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Is it possible to make gravity stop?

1. Dec 24, 2017 #1
    I know this is probably going to sound stupid but I'm really curious for the opinion of someone who has knowledge.
    Well spacetime is like a stretched bed linen. Putting on an object with a big mass, will cause its curvature.
    Now imagine having a piece of fabric holding it stretced from both sides. Place a ball on it. It will curve. Just like the spacetime by a sun etc.
    If we would put a force with our hand down the fabric (where the curve is), equal with the mass of the ball, the fabric would return to its first shape. Is that even possible to happen to spacetime? Could we put a force somehow in the deformed area and bring it back to its first shape?
    And if that is possible, wouldn't that mean that gravity would stop since it's caused by the curvature of spacetime?
    I don't know how much stupid this sounds to you but I would appreciate it if you could expalin to me why isn't it possible
    Or why it is.
    Thank you:)

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 24, 2017 #2

phinds

Gold Member

No, it is not. This is a VERY misleading pop-science hueristic and is not to be taken as actually meaningful.

In the heuristic, yes, but again, it's just a pop-sci presentation and misleading
    You need to drop the fabric analogy. It just causes confusion.

4. Dec 24, 2017 #3

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

No it is not. It is a common metaphor used in popular text, but you should not in any way confuse it with what is actually going on and you should definitely not use it to make inferences about how the physics works.

5. Dec 24, 2017 #4

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

Haha. I started reading thinking ”but I did not use a comma ...”

6. Dec 24, 2017 #5

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2017 Award

@Odette The level tag you chose (”A”) indicates that you have knowledge of the subject equivalent to a graduate student in physics or more and expect an answer and discussion on that level. Based on your question this seems not to be the case. I have changed the level tag to ”B”.

7. Dec 24, 2017 #6
    Ok sorry I'm new I didn't know

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted