Is it possible to numerically solve this PDE?

• Thread starter AbDomen
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pde
In summary, a graduate student of engineering is seeking help with solving a PDE (the Herring-Trilling equation) that they have attached to a post. The student is specifically struggling with the first term in the equation, which contains a partial derivative of the time-derivative of R in the direction of R. They are wondering if it is possible to obtain a numerical solution for R as a function of time, and are open to setting pL as a constant for their purposes. They apologize if this is not the appropriate place to ask for help.
AbDomen
Hi all,

I'm a graduate student of engineering and have some knowledge of solving ODEs and PDEs - usually enough to do the simulations I need. However, I'm currently stumped by a PDE I found in a paper. I've attached the PDE in question (the Herring-Trilling equation) to this post.

I'm wondering - is it even possible to numerically obtain a solution for R as a function of time? The two variables are R and pL (other elements are constants), but for my purposes it'd also be okay to set pL as constant. While most of the PDE is nothing special, the first term contains the partial derivative of the time-derivative of R, in the direction of R. That has me completely baffled, and I have no idea how to even start solving it numerically.

I apologize if this is the wrong place to post my question, but I'm stumped and would be very grateful for any help. Thank you!

Attachments

• pde.JPG
    pde.JPG
    11.8 KB · Views: 422
Physics news on Phys.org
The Herring-Trilling equation:\frac{\partial R}{\partial t} = \frac{1}{\rho_0R^2}\frac{\partial}{\partial R}\left(K\frac{\partial R}{\partial R}\right) + \frac{1}{\rho_0}\left(\frac{\partial p_L}{\partial t} - \frac{4}{3}\nu_s\frac{\partial R}{\partial t}\right)

1. Can any PDE be solved numerically?

No, not all PDEs can be solved numerically. Some PDEs may have analytical solutions, while others may not have a solution at all. It is important to determine the type of PDE and assess its solvability before attempting to solve it numerically.

2. What are the common numerical methods used to solve PDEs?

Some common numerical methods for solving PDEs include finite difference methods, finite element methods, and spectral methods. Each method has its own advantages and limitations, and the choice of method depends on the specific PDE being solved and the desired accuracy and efficiency.

3. How do you determine the accuracy of a numerical solution to a PDE?

The accuracy of a numerical solution to a PDE can be determined by comparing it to an analytical solution, if available. Otherwise, the solution can be compared to solutions obtained using different numerical methods or by refining the grid or time step used in the numerical solution. Additionally, error measures such as the L2-norm or pointwise error can be calculated to assess the accuracy of the solution.

4. Can numerical solutions to PDEs be unstable?

Yes, numerical solutions to PDEs can be unstable. This can happen when the numerical method used is not suitable for the specific PDE being solved or when the parameters of the PDE are outside of the stability region of the method. To ensure stability, it is important to choose an appropriate numerical method and carefully select the grid or time step size.

5. How important is the initial or boundary conditions in solving a PDE numerically?

The initial and boundary conditions are crucial in solving a PDE numerically. These conditions determine the behavior of the solution and are used to define the problem in the numerical method. Incorrect or insufficient boundary conditions can lead to inaccurate or unstable solutions. Therefore, it is important to carefully consider and properly specify the initial and boundary conditions when solving a PDE numerically.