Is it possible to participate in undergrad research as a freshmen?

In summary, this person is a senior in high school and plans to attend the University of Washington next year. They want to do scientific research, but do not know if it is possible or if they need to be in their major first. They started their freshman year studying physics at UCB, but found that the research group did not want undergrads. They then talked to the professor and found out that they were allowed to do research as a freshman if they were interested in the subject. They are currently working on a research project with their physics department. They also have an internship this summer at a university in their hometown.
pakmingki
currently, I am a senior in hs and I am going to the university of washington next year. I really want to just dive into the world of scientific research.

Is this possible? Or does one have to be in their major first before researching?
I have tried emailing some professors, but i have gotten zero responses.

Physics news on Phys.org
I am a 1st year doing undergrad research. In fact, I am getting paid as well. It helps if you have some experience. Maybe try to start research over the summer...

I would say that background in the research area would be helpful. But that there are no real hardened rules about what you can and can't do.

pakmingki said:
I really want to just dive into the world of scientific research.
That's a pretty big playing field.

I doubt anyone would let you have a go on their particle accelerator.

However, someone may have some number crunching you can do.

It is very possible. My freshman year, I did metal work for the physics department. I would also record the data into a database and do basic grammar reviews on upper division/grad student's papers.

I'd first of all make sure you understand what is meant by 'research'. I'm not sure what kind of laboratory work you've completed so far - nature or topic, but you need to be aware that research can be very slow - there is almost always hours of tedious (this is where the enthusiasm of a hopeful result comes in!) analysis and error calculations. Since there's a specific way you'd need to approach any undergraduate research I would think it very unlikely that you'd be able to take an active part in anything at this stage you'd probably consider as interesting.

That doesn't mean its not worth a try, experience is essential - and even if you don't get to actually take part in a project there's no reason why you couldn't organize a week or so of unpaid observation - but remember time is precious in the field so I'd try not to be too disheartened at nothing comes up at this early stage - you've plenty of years left.

I started my first semester at UCB studying CP violation. I talked with the professor and knew their research fairly well (for someone who never did anything in it). This particular research group liked to take in 1-2 undergrads during their freshmen/sophomore years because they had plenty of time to become really productive for the group. Just bringing on senior undergrads yielded no positive gain. I actually managed to get published results from my first year/summer. However, my situation is rare. For example one professor I know refuses to hire freshmen regardless of the student. Just research the group and give it a shot. The worst that could happen is you won't get a research position which is exactly what you had before you asked.

It kind of depends on what research interest you. It has been my experance that professors want undergrads that show a consiterible interest in the subject.

Then again, I have a friend that goes to UW that was able to get on a research group during the summer before the start of his freshmen year and has been doing research since then.

I am just finishing my first year as a physics and math major
I got a work study job with my physics dept, (not really undergrad research) but, I do get to meet and know all the faculty, I help them with petty stuff like fixing computers, but also with setting up labs, and doing small experiments, I also get to go to all the colloquium seminars, and I get paid. Its really a wonderful opportunity.
Our dept has a year long research project for all freshmen to do as well, its a group project where you pick your own topic, do research in the theory, and then do experimental test to see if its correct. My group studied Amplitude modulation, specifically Modulating a Laser to transmit an Audio Signal.

I also, through connection from a friend, Have an internship at UMSL (my hometown) this summer in their Physical Chem dept. doing research in Intracavity Laser Spectroscopy (although I am not sure what I will be doing exactly, it could very well just be crunching numbers or filing papers)

So in short (well long rather) It is possible, but ti takes your willingness as well as just connections. Talk to all your faculty, see what they are doing, see if they need help, ask if they know anyone who could use help, just make it known that you want to do it and will put forth the effort. If you are alzy, never come to class, and slack off, they won't hire you, so show them that you want to do research and will be willing to help out

1. Can freshmen participate in undergraduate research?

Yes, it is possible for freshmen to participate in undergraduate research. Many universities offer opportunities for students of all levels, including freshmen, to engage in research projects.

2. What are the benefits of participating in undergraduate research as a freshman?

Participating in undergraduate research as a freshman can provide valuable hands-on experience in your field of study, help you develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, and give you a head start in building your academic and professional resume.

3. How can I find undergraduate research opportunities as a freshman?

You can start by talking to your professors or academic advisors, as they may have information about ongoing research projects or know other faculty members looking for undergraduate research assistants. You can also check your university's website or bulletin boards for research opportunities.

4. Do I need to have prior experience or knowledge to participate in undergraduate research as a freshman?

No, prior experience or knowledge is not always necessary to participate in undergraduate research as a freshman. Many research projects are designed to provide learning opportunities for students of all levels and may have specific training or orientation sessions for new researchers.

5. How much time commitment is required for participating in undergraduate research as a freshman?

The time commitment for undergraduate research can vary depending on the project and your level of involvement. Some projects may require a few hours per week, while others may require more time, especially if you are working on a research project for academic credit. It is important to discuss and clarify the time commitment with the research project supervisor before committing to the opportunity.