Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it possible to predict the future?

1. Jul 26, 2005 #1

Lisa!

Gold Member

Well I can't believe thatsomeone would be able to predict the future. I want to have your ideas about people or even religions who claim they're able to predict the future events.And I mostly want to discuss about Nostradamus. What do you think of him? Did he really predict future events? What does sciense say about him?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2005 #2

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I predict that the sun will rise over the great state of Oregon, in the eastern sky, on July 26th, at 5:50 AM PDT. :biggrin:

Oh my, Nostradamus. First of all, much of what you hear is flatly untrue. There are all sorts of statements credited to N that he in fact never said or wrote. What is true is mostly taken out of context and molded to fit modern events. There are a few interesting things here and there but nothing nearly so compelling as is widely reported. For example, one favorite reference is that of Hister [in Germany] over flowing its banks, or something like that, which is taken to mean Hitler. In fact the Hister was the old name for the Danube I think...anyway, its was a river not a mispelling of Hitler's name. And so it goes...

I have also found over the years that the reported predictions, especially the dates, keep changing. I can think of at least twice that according to reports about N and his quatrains, we should all be dead. April of 1984 was one date, and then after that date, I think it was 1994, [and now its something else] at which time we were warned by the great Orson Wells who did the show that about this: "Beware the coming of the comet, for men will become man-eaters" They had actually dubbed in different dates and ran the same show again about ten years later. :rolleyes:

4. Jul 26, 2005 #3

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Considering how Orson Wells first gained fame, ie. his infamous War Of The Worlds broadcast which nearly caused a national panic, he must have had a an especially satisfying laugh when he got the chance to end his career by pulling another one on the viewing public with his special on Nostradamus.

5. Jul 26, 2005 #4

Lisa!

Gold Member

I predict your prediction will be true! :wink:

Maybe he was talking about the death of altruism not humans! :uhh:

6. Jul 26, 2005 #5

Lisa!

Gold Member

You're talking about what happened in 1938?

7. Jul 26, 2005 #6

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Yes, the events of 1938 marked his rise to fame. Then, not long before he died, or at least about the last thing that he did beside wine commercials, was a special on Nostradamus that has aired on and off for over twenty years now.

8. Jul 26, 2005 #7
    The man who saw tomorrow?

9. Jul 26, 2005 #8
  10. Jul 26, 2005 #9

SGT

If you make an abstract prophecy and establish no time to it, eventually something will happen that someone will be able to say is its fulfillment.
    Some years ago a canadian student, in an essay about Nostradamus, wrote the following
    In 2001 someone found this quotation and attributed it to the terrorist attack to the twin towers of WTC. Even if NYC can hardly been called the city of God, the fortress (the USA) has endured and a (not so) great leader (Saddan Hussein) has succumbed.
    And it took only a few years, not several centuries for the fulfillment of the prophecy.

11. Jul 26, 2005 #10
    I predict the future all the time. Now, whether or not I'm consistently accurate is another story.

12. Jul 26, 2005 #11
    You can't predict the future but you can set up algorythms to predict the probability of certain future events =).

13. Jul 26, 2005 #12
    That sounds like fun. Here's one I just made up:

14. Jul 27, 2005 #13

SGT

Nice! Your prediction is vague enough that it can fit any event. I don't know if your prophecy will be fulfilled next week, next century or next millennium, but it certainly will.
    If, as has been made with the prophecies of Nostradamus, it is translated in another language, the translator can twist it to best fit any happening.

15. Jul 27, 2005 #14
    timeless light

To predict the future is to get ahead of light that has no time to travel, and yet it travels so fast that it makes everything, with time, stationary; and thus timeless.

And you want to predict the future – why not, after all, the mind is what it thinks it thinks be it the timeless-light or everything else that has time but only because it is stationary. Predicting the future should fit in there real easily.

-- just thoughts

16. Jul 27, 2005 #15
    Hitler apparently grew up beside that river called Hister. Interesting....

17. Jul 27, 2005 #16

SGT

The original quatrain was:

Erika Cheetham (The Final Prophecies of Nostradamus, 1989) has translated to English as:
    Knowing that Hister was the name of the lower Danube, James Randi offered a more sensible explanation:
    We must remember that Germany is called Allemagne in French. Germain comes from latin germanus from germen , meaning from the same blood, having the same father and mother.

18. Jul 27, 2005 #17
    SGT, are you sure you copied this line correctly:

"Plus part du champ encore Hister sera" ?

19. Jul 27, 2005 #18
    You could translate it into Spanish, then have some American whose Spanish isn't very fluent translate it from your Spanish back to English. Then we'll have two different English versions for people to match to real events.

Oh no. I feel another one coming on:

20. Jul 27, 2005 #19

SGT

You are right. The correct line is:

21. Jul 28, 2005 #20

Lisa!

Gold Member

Did anyone predict what would happen in Sep. 11th?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?