Is it possible to pursue a career in nuclear physics without getting a degree?

In summary: Apprenticeship programs in nuclear physics typically take 3-6 years to complete. Apprentices receive on-the-job training, which in turn leads to a formal degree at the end of the program. Many employers prefer to hire apprentices who have completed a formal apprenticeship program, as they have already had the requisite training and have proved their ability to learn and work effectively.
penfoldemily
I am currently in my final year at college and wish to pursue a career in nuclear physics as this is something which strongly interests me. However, if it is possible i would rather skip the university part and take a different route into the career like an apprenticeship. i have found it hard to find any information on this topic and have so far only been able to find apprenticeships in electrical and mechanical engeneering although this is not the sector i wish to go into. I would be willing to do a BA however i am not keen on spendidng more than three years at university if any time at all.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sorry, but in nuclear physics the apprenticeship starts during the PhD process, and continues for 3-6 years beyond that.

If you're in your final year of college, aren't you almost done with your BA already?

Doing the actual physics? No, you need a PhD (which implies at least a BSc/BS and in many countries, a MSc before that). Learning how to do physics takes a long time, and is incredibly specialized.

But contributing to the process? I guess you could be a technician? Not necessarily high-up one, you need at least a BEng for that, and many have a MEng or a PhD on top of that. But a BEng isn't too long a degree. Computer scientists are also hired in nuclear physics for control and data acquisition system design, but you'll also need a degree for that.

But a skilled vacuum welder is worth their weight in gold. Ditto electricians, plumbers etc. Someone who can take a CAD drawing and turn it into reality. Best of all, they are transferable skills, so you can work in many sectors.

penfoldemily said:
I am currently in my final year at college and wish to pursue a career in nuclear physics as this is something which strongly interests me. However, if it is possible i would rather skip the university part and take a different route into the career like an apprenticeship. i have found it hard to find any information on this topic and have so far only been able to find apprenticeships in electrical and mechanical engeneering although this is not the sector i wish to go into. I would be willing to do a BA however i am not keen on spendidng more than three years at university if any time at all.
In what area is one's degree - if not physics?

To pursue a career, one must have a certain level of proficiency in the particular discipline. In the case of physics, one would normally need a BS/BA in physics, with some specialty in particular areas, e.g., nuclear physics and QM/QP, and related areas.

Without the appropriate training, why would one think it possible to simply become an apprentice in nuclear physics?

1. Can I become a nuclear physicist without a degree?

No, in order to become a nuclear physicist, a degree in a related field such as physics, nuclear engineering, or applied mathematics is required.

2. Are there any alternative paths to pursuing a career in nuclear physics without a degree?

While a degree is typically required, some individuals may be able to gain experience and knowledge through internships, research assistant positions, or self-study. However, these alternative paths may limit career opportunities and advancement.

3. Is it possible to work in a nuclear physics-related field without a degree?

Yes, there are some roles in the nuclear industry that do not require a degree, such as technicians or operators. However, these positions may have limited opportunities for advancement and may not involve direct research in nuclear physics.

4. What skills and qualifications are necessary for a career in nuclear physics?

In addition to a degree in a related field, strong mathematical and analytical skills, computer proficiency, and knowledge of nuclear physics principles and theories are essential for a career in this field. Good problem-solving and critical thinking abilities are also important.

5. Can I become a nuclear physicist through online courses or certifications?

While online courses and certifications may provide some knowledge and skills in nuclear physics, they are not equivalent to a degree and may not be recognized by employers. It is important to have a formal education and hands-on experience in order to pursue a successful career in nuclear physics.