Is it possible to "redistribute" the weight of the table....?

In summary, it would be possible to redistribute the weight of a table such that the front end bears more of the load. This can be done by using external anchors or by suspending a weight from the front of the table.
Stan Denman
I am a total physics novice, so please bear with me. I would like to know if it would even be possible to achieve this result. Assume I have a fixed abject like a table. Would it be possible to "redistribute" the weight of the table such that the front end of the table bears more of the weight than the back end? I am imagining a set of very strong flexible tent poles anchored at two points on the table such that more weight would be born by the front legs of the table?

Physics news on Phys.org
Stan Denman said:
I am a total physics novice, so please bear with me. I would like to know if it would even be possible to achieve this result. Assume I have a fixed abject like a table. Would it be possible to "redistribute" the weight of the table such that the front end of the table bears more of the weight than the back end? I am imagining a set of very strong flexible tent poles anchored at two points on the table such that more weight would be born by the front legs of the table?
The weight distribution depends on the center of mass location. The external moments and forces have to balance. Adding internal support structures will not change those external forces, except through moving the center of mass.

Can you post a sketch of what you're thinking? Use the UPLOAD button to put it in your post.

You can have a two-legged (or even one-leg) table and bolt the two legs to the floor.

A.T. said:
The weight distribution depends on the center of mass location. The external moments and forces have to balance. Adding internal support structures will not change those external forces, except through moving the center of mass.

thanks for your response. Not sure entirely what you mean. If we have a flexible tent pole and the center of the table is the fulcrum
anorlunda said:
Can you post a sketch of what you're thinking? Use the UPLOAD button to put it in your post.

You can have a two-legged (or even one-leg) table and bolt the two legs to the floor.

Sure, let's say we are deal with a standing dog. If I wanted to get weight off his back legs and on to his front legs, I can imagine a vest in which i have flexible tent polls affix that are bent and exerting torque. In this drawing I am envisioning 2 tents and just wondering if it would work.

Attachments

• DogProblem.pdf
    108.2 KB · Views: 385
Stan Denman said:
thanks for your response. Not sure entirely what you mean. If we have a flexible tent pole and the center of the table is the fulcrumSure, let's say we are deal with a standing dog. If I wanted to get weight off his back legs and on to his front legs, I can imagine a vest in which i have flexible tent polls affix that are bent and exerting torque. In this drawing I am envisioning 2 tents and just wondering if it would work.
You can use external anchors - like for a suspension bridge, but no internal structure (forces) can change weight distribution.

Since you can't anchor a dog, the only thing that would really help much is hanging a weight off his nose...probably don't want to do that though.

Stan Denman said:
If we have a flexible tent pole and the center of the table is the fulcrum
If the additional poles don't touch the ground, and don't change the horizontal center of mass location, they will not change the external forces on the legs. They can only change internal forces within the structure. You are basically just building stronger legs. But you are not changing the loading of the floor. Is that your aim?

Stan Denman said:
Sure, let's say we are deal with a standing dog...
Bio-mechanics of living things is much more complicated than a table, which you already struggle to understand .

Stan Denman said:
If the front legs were moved toward the back of the table, then they would bear more weight than the back legs. If some lumber were clamped to the back of the table and hanging over the front, then the weight on the front legs would go up, and the weight on the back legs would go down. If they were long and heavy enough, the weight on the back legs would be less than zero, and the table would tip to the front, bringing the back legs off the floor.

1. Can the weight of a table be redistributed?

Yes, it is possible to redistribute the weight of a table by changing the distribution of weight on the table's surface or by adding or removing weight from certain areas.

2. How is the weight of a table redistributed?

The weight of a table can be redistributed by adjusting the placement of objects on the table, adding or removing support structures, or changing the table's design to distribute weight more evenly.

3. Why would someone want to redistribute the weight of a table?

There are several reasons why someone may want to redistribute the weight of a table. It could be for aesthetic purposes, to improve the stability of the table, or to accommodate different objects being placed on the table.

4. Is it possible to redistribute the weight of any type of table?

Yes, it is possible to redistribute the weight of most types of tables, including wooden, metal, and plastic tables. However, the methods for redistributing weight may vary depending on the material and design of the table.

5. Can redistributing the weight of a table cause any damage?

In most cases, redistributing the weight of a table will not cause any damage. However, if the table is not designed to handle a significant amount of weight in a certain area, it could potentially cause damage to the table or objects placed on it. It is important to redistribute weight carefully and make sure the table can support the new weight distribution.