Is it possible to use the center of gravity to balance a bird toy?

In summary: I don't understand what you are saying here. Please explain in detail. In particular, please explain what you think the difference is between the two centres.
Benjamin_harsh
Homework Statement
Is it possible to use center of gravity to balance bird toy ?
Relevant Equations
Is it possible to use center of gravity to balance bird toy ?
Here is the picture where person balancing a toy bird with using center of mass.

I am bored with center of mass. I want to try same experiment with center of gravity. Is it possible to use center of gravity to balance bird toy ?

Physics news on Phys.org
Benjamin_harsh said:
Problem Statement: Is it possible to use center of gravity to balance bird toy ?
Relevant Equations: Is it possible to use center of gravity to balance bird toy ?

Here is the picture where person balancing a toy bird with using center of mass.

View attachment 245076

I am bored with center of mass. I want to try same experiment with center of gravity. Is it possible to use center of gravity to balance bird toy ?
What is the difference between centre of gravity and centre of mass? There is one, although it would make no difference in this context.

Likes BvU and Wrichik Basu
haruspex said:
There is one, although it would make no difference in this context.

Is it possible to use center of gravity to balance bird toy or not?

Benjamin_harsh said:
I am bored with center of mass
That is a serious affection :smile: !

A remedy might be to spend a bit more time on R & R , socialize and such.

In extreme cases of brilliance, stepping up from center of mass to e.g. tensor of moment of inertia can be diverting

:wink:

Benjamin_harsh said:
Is it possible to use center of gravity to balance bird toy or not?
As haru says: ain't no difference, so a definite 'Yes'

BvU said:
As haru says: ain't no difference, so a definite 'Yes'
I think center of gravity changes but not center of mass. I think we can balance things by center of gravity not with center of mass.

Benjamin_harsh said:
center of gravity changes
Under what circumstances?

haruspex said:
Under what circumstances?
Near black holes etc. Where we balance things with center of gravity and also where center of mass is completely useless. Shuttlecock flips with center of gravity not with center of mass.

Last edited:
Benjamin_harsh said:
Shuttlecock flips with center of gravity not with center of mass.
No.

Have you ever played badminton on the moon?

jbriggs444 said:
Have you ever played badminton on the moon?
No. Please explain why did you ask me such question?

Benjamin_harsh said:
No. Please explain why did you ask me such question?
To suggest that gravity is not the only factor affecting a shuttlecock.

Benjamin_harsh said:
Shuttlecock flips with center of gravity not with center of mass.
I don't understand what you are saying here. Please explain in detail. In particular, please explain what you think the difference is between the two centres.

1. How does the center of gravity affect the balance of a bird toy?

The center of gravity (COG) is the point at which an object’s weight is evenly distributed and can be thought of as the “balance point”. When the COG of a bird toy is properly positioned, it allows for stable and balanced movement, making the toy more enjoyable for the bird to play with.

2. Can the center of gravity be used to adjust the balance of a bird toy?

Yes, the COG can be adjusted by changing the distribution of weight within the bird toy. This can be done by adding or removing weight from different parts of the toy, until the COG is in the desired location for optimal balance.

3. How can knowing the center of gravity of a bird toy be beneficial?

Knowing the COG of a bird toy can be beneficial for creating a more engaging and enjoyable toy for the bird. By understanding how the COG affects balance, scientists and toy designers can create toys that are more stimulating and challenging for birds to interact with.

4. Is the center of gravity the same for all bird toys?

No, the COG can vary for different bird toys depending on their shape, size, and weight distribution. For example, a larger and heavier toy may have a lower COG compared to a smaller and lighter one.

5. How can one locate the center of gravity on a bird toy?

The COG can be found by suspending the bird toy from different points and observing where it hangs in a balanced position. The point at which the toy hangs without tipping in any direction is the COG. This can also be calculated mathematically by finding the average point of all the toy's weight.