Studying for 3 Degrees: MBA, MS, and PhD; How Long?

In summary, the conversation is about obtaining multiple degrees in different fields and the time frame it would take. The speaker mentions that they are interested in all the areas and that it could take 6-12 years, excluding undergraduate work, to complete all the degrees. They also mention that it may take longer if remedial work is needed at the graduate level, but it could be possible if all the necessary background is completed during undergraduate studies. The speaker offers this information as a rough estimate and hopes it helps the other person.
Dharm
To study for a M.B.A. in Accountancy, M.S. in Computer Science and Engineering, and a PH.D. Theoretical Physics/Physical Chemistry? And obtain those degrees? How long would it take?

Physics news on Phys.org
Why do you want to do all that?

I want to attend Ohio State University. :biggrin:

verty said:
Why do you want to do all that?
I'm interested in all those areas.

Last edited:
I don't know about the M.B.A part; however, I can state that I have a good number of graduate students in the physics department that have a masters in computer science or engineering working on their PH. D. But many of them went into the workforce for a period after their B.S. and Master's programs. If I were to roughly guess though, it would near 6-12 years, excluding your undergrad work.

Note that my number of years is based on the assumed average time frame of getting a masters: 2-3 years. PHD work, consitering from the background I am assuming to get the MBA and then the Masters in Computer Sci, will likly take awhile since you would need to do some remedial work at the graduate level.

But I guess if you really had all of the background done in your undergrad, it could be possible.

Hope this helps.

1. How long does it typically take to complete all three degrees?

The total time it takes to complete an MBA, MS, and PhD can vary greatly depending on the program, course load, and individual student's pace. On average, it can take anywhere from 5-7 years to complete all three degrees.

2. Is it possible to complete all three degrees simultaneously?

It is not common for students to complete all three degrees at the same time. Most programs require full-time commitment to one degree at a time, and the coursework and research for each degree can be overwhelming to manage together.

3. Can I complete the degrees in any order?

It is recommended to complete the degrees in the following order: MBA, MS, and then PhD. This allows for a smooth transition from foundational business skills to more specialized knowledge in the MS program, and finally to advanced research and expertise in the PhD program.

4. Are there any benefits to pursuing all three degrees?

Having all three degrees can open up a wide range of career opportunities, as it demonstrates a strong academic background and a diverse skill set. It can also lead to higher salaries and increased job prospects.

5. Are there any challenges in pursuing all three degrees simultaneously?

The main challenge in pursuing all three degrees is the time commitment and workload. It can be difficult to balance coursework, research, and other responsibilities, and it may also be financially demanding. Additionally, the rigorous nature of these programs can lead to burnout and fatigue.