Pursuing a Ph.D. in Applied Math & Bachelors/Masters in EE Simultaneously?

In summary, the possibility and likelihood of pursuing a PhD in applied mathematics while also obtaining a bachelor's degree in EE depends on the duration of the PhD program and the source of funding. It may not be feasible to extend the PhD program in order to obtain another degree. However, it is possible to pursue a master's degree in EE while completing a PhD in applied mathematics, as long as both are done part-time and self-funded.
math_owen
Is it possible and/or likely to pursue a ph.d in applied mathematics and at the same time pick up a bachelors in EE? What about a masters in EE after that 2nd bachelors while still in a applied math ph.d program?

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends how long you want your PhD to last, and on who's funding it. If it's a research council or what not, then I can't see them allowing you to take extra time to get a PhD simply because you are trying to get a degree in another subject at the same time.

I plan on doing my Master's in Mathematics as I go for my Business Degree. Both are part-time. I will pay for both out of my pocket.

1. Can I pursue a Ph.D. in Applied Math and a Bachelors/Masters in Electrical Engineering at the same time?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a Ph.D. in Applied Math while also completing a Bachelors or Masters degree in Electrical Engineering. Many universities offer joint or dual-degree programs that allow students to work towards both degrees simultaneously.

2. How long does it typically take to complete both degrees?

The time it takes to complete both degrees will vary depending on the specific program and your individual progress. However, it usually takes longer than pursuing just one degree. On average, it can take 5-6 years to complete a Ph.D. in Applied Math and a Bachelors or Masters in Electrical Engineering together.

3. What are the benefits of pursuing both degrees at the same time?

Pursuing both degrees simultaneously can provide a well-rounded education and open up a wider range of career opportunities. It can also save time and money compared to pursuing the degrees separately. Additionally, having knowledge in both fields can be valuable in interdisciplinary research and industry positions.

4. What are the challenges of pursuing both degrees simultaneously?

Pursuing both degrees at the same time can be challenging due to the workload and time commitment required. Balancing coursework, research, and other responsibilities can be difficult. It is important to have strong time management skills and a clear plan in place to successfully complete both degrees.

5. Can I switch between the programs if I change my mind?

Yes, it is possible to switch between the programs if you change your mind. However, it may require additional time and coursework to complete the new program. It is important to carefully consider your goals and interests before committing to a joint or dual-degree program.