1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it possible?

1. Feb 9, 2012 #1
    Ok, firstly my name is Joe. I am 28 years old. I'm not a "genus" nor a "dumb" person. When I was in high school the last math I took was Algebra. I never took calculus or trig or Physics. As I got older the more I read about Physics. The more I wanted to partake in it. I know it requires a lot of math. I believe once I get started I can finish. My question is this; Is it possible for me to learn physics? Giving my age and lack of math.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2012 #2

wukunlin

Gold Member

possible for you to learn? definitely

I'm a bit curious though, how much do you actually know about working on physics? Have you tried looking at basic physics questions, one dimensional kinematics for example, which only require basic algebra, and tried working though them?

4. Feb 9, 2012 #3
    Yes, is it possible for me to learn. I know you can learn. To apply it, etc...

I forgot to add this. This is the university i'll attend. I will have to start with basic math though.
    http://www.astate.edu/a/scimath/chemistryphysics/courses/ [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2017
  5. Feb 9, 2012 #4

wukunlin

Gold Member

Definitely seek advice from their department staff, chances they will want you to go through a whole range of foundation courses before you even start "stage one."
    But it shouldn't be too much of a problem if this is what you want :biggrin:

6. Feb 9, 2012 #5
    28 is certainly not too old! I used to work at a place that catered mostly for mature students and the average age of successful graduates was probably forty something... some were in their seventies...

You can learn the math. Try reading this to get motivated:

Mathematics: a Very Short Introduction by Timothy Gowers

Gowers is a top Cambridge professor and a Fields medallist (= Nobel Prize for Maths) The book is for everyone, but is especially good for students like you who are just about to start using mathematics at College, and are a "bit worried". It has a lot to say about the use of mathematics in physics, and has some great "further reading" recommendations. It has an adult tone so you're probably the perfect reader, being a mature student...

7. Feb 9, 2012 #6
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook