Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it really just me?

1. Jun 1, 2004 #1
    Okay, this going to sound wierd but.....

When I approach structures that generate/produce/transmit a relatively large amount of electricity, I begin to hear a high pitched noise. It's like a kind of constant, "zzzzzz". Then I begin to feel pressure on my head. Normally when I sense this, I move away immediately because it begins to make me somewhat dizzy. Possibly, if I stayed close by long enough, I might faint or something :frown: .
    This also happens at one cash register. The cash registers at this place
    are placed close by, and at right angles of each other. There is a sum of 3 cash registers here. Yesterday we were there, and my mom called me over to help her with something. Immediately when I came within a few feet of it, I felt and heard that constant, high pitched sound (that is really silent). It caused some pressure around the circumference of my head. When I stepped a few feet back, it stopped.

Wierd huh? Can anyone explain this at all? I think I should go to the doctor and be examined or something.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 1, 2004 #2
    Flickering lights affect me negatively. I have to leave the room asap or suffer sore eyes or possibly even a migraine headache, yet others in the room are able to cope with it (some don’t even notice any flicker). Fluorescent lighting is usually the culprit (ballast or tube in need of replacement) and sometimes an audible humming also is present. At very close distances from the bulb (under 10-feet) a peculiar feeling of physical assault is sometimes experienced. It’s something I cannot ignore and the only relief is to turn off the offending lamp or to leave the area. Perhaps you are sensitive in a way not altogether different than me. Good luck dealing with this.

What is typically the sum in these three registers, and where exactly are you located? :biggrin:

4. Jun 1, 2004 #3
    Another wierd thing happens to me.

When I am even just starting to think about something minutely abstract, I get this pressure on the front of my head. This is bothersome, but its when it occurs that I do my best thinking. Once, I actually went a week without doing any abstract thinking and when I got back to my normal studies, guess what? My head was felt no pressure. That was when I had a hard time thinking in an abstract manner.

Yes, I guess we have similarities in these odd phenomena. I really want to see if I can get this studied.

5. Jun 1, 2004 #4
    anything thats electro magnetic i hear a hisss sound, so its everywhere, it really bothers me during homework and stuff, but i dont get headachs or anything

6. Jun 2, 2004 #5
    This is interesting. I was playing with an electronics kit thing the other night. One of the circuits was a simple one transistor amplifier hooked up to an ear phone. The instructions were to touch the lead that lead to the base of the transistor and in the earphone you would hear the faint buzzing of all the stray EM signals that were in the area and that your body was picking up like an antenna. I was sitting right next to a fluorescent lamp so the buzzing was not faint at all. When I touched the lamp it rose dramatically in volume. When I shut the lamp off it diminished considerably.

This proves that people are, indeed, picking up EM signals with their body.

How this is being amplified and channeled into your ears, though, is a total mystery to me.

The pressure on your head and forehead might be either migraine or simple partial seizure symptoms. Most people aren't aware that Migraine doesn't necessarily have to include the tremendous headache.

Alot of people with seizures swear that they are affected by close proximity to anything with an EM field around it: motors, microwaves, fluorescent lamps, etc. I haven't happened to find any studies that back this up, but there is nothing really unscientific about the claim, since it has been proven that they have "touchier" neurons.

7. Jun 2, 2004 #6
    Guys, I've never really told anyone else about this, but here it goes. (deep breath) When I was a little lad, (about 3 years ago :wink: ) I was abducted by aliens. They took me into one of their ships to do... experiments on me. Now I have trouble sleeping at night, the last thing they said to me was "you are the walrus." And I make weird noises when I sneeze.

8. Jun 2, 2004 #7
    now i'm scared

9. Jun 2, 2004 #8
    now i'm really scared
    actualy i dont disbelieve your story, if it happened, man that should be out of this world, i cant imagine it, frankly i dont want to imagine it, i would hate being an experiment, think about it though, our world includes earth, and we do experiments on more primitive creatures, say their world is the solar system, and they do experiements on more primitive creatures(us) and on and on, it makes sense, its crazy, i would rather communicate with them instead of being an experiment though.

my cousin went through a simular experience

10. Jun 2, 2004 #9
    Ah-choo! I am the Walrus!

11. Jun 2, 2004 #10
    He's just being a smart aleck. Pay no attention to him.

12. Jun 2, 2004 #11
    Paul Mcartney is the walrus, dont you know that

13. Jun 2, 2004 #12

hypnagogue

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I get something vaguely like that. If the TV monitor is on but not picking up any TV programs, if I walk into the room I can nonetheless sense (somehow) that it's on. I don't really notice any noise, but when I turn it off the room seems to get quieter. I only get that experience with this one particular TV though. I'm pretty sure it's not just a faint noise the TV makes, or at least that's not how I experience it-- I just get a nebulous impression that something is there, and when I shut the TV off it leaves.

14. Jun 2, 2004 #13

Njorl

Science Advisor

TV's emit a fairly loud, very high-pitched whine. It is beyond the range of many people's hearing, so they don't believe it happens. I hear it, and it really annoys me. Some sets are worse than others. When I go shopping for a TV, the most important thing I check is how loud the whine is.

Njorl

15. Jun 3, 2004 #14
    There is a really annoying t.v. in my room which constantly gets a lot of static. Sometimes, if I'm lucky, it doesn't. Anyway, when I am close to the antenna, it becomes okay and of course I can't do that without feeling disoriented so I try not to.

Does this happen to everyone?

Nikola Tesla had an acute sense of hearing. What is interesting is, intelligent people like yourselves and Nikola (hehe, we're on a first name basis) tend to have sensitive senses. Is that true?

16. Jun 3, 2004 #15
    i pick up that whine also, bugs the **** out of me, but my whole family doesnt pick it up, they think the tv is off, then i go and close their like WTF i thought it was off, sheesh

17. Jun 4, 2004 #16

Evo

Staff: Mentor

For me, it's the freezers in the grocery store. They recently remodeled and put in new freezer units and now when I go into the frozen food section the buzzing from the units is deafening to me, but no one else notices it. I can't even shop in that section anymore.

18. Jun 4, 2004 #17

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I can also hear the TV whine; at least in some sets. I could tell from another room if the old TV's were on or not. Since the advent of the instant-on technology I can hear the TV constantly. I have learned to ignore it, but I can also tune in at will. I can also hear flourescent lights.

I think this is actually a ~20Khz noise produced in the flyback [high voltage] circuit. Same for the flourescent lights. Some lighting systems use 20KHZ precisely; right at the upper limit of our hearing.

19. Jun 4, 2004 #18

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Silly me. I forgot to mention that switching power supplies, such as those used in computers and cash registers, can emit noise in the 20KHz range. For some time this became a fairly standard switching frequency.

I think what happens is that inductors in the circuit, such as those that use a ferrite toroid as a core, can produce audible noise as a result of the mechanical stress of the varying magnetic field around them. Also, after thinking about it I could swear that while doing circuit design I have been able to hear transistors and op amps switching at certain frequencies.

20. Jun 4, 2004 #19

Evo

Staff: Mentor

Flourescent lights make a lot of noise. What causes that?

21. Jun 4, 2004 #20

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

60Hz low voltage [110 volts] AC, and high frequency switching that's used to produce the high voltage for the light itself. Its all or mostly in the transformers, I think.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?