Is it really just me?

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Imparcticle said:
So everyone is capable of detecting (with ears) EM waves from the tv? I hear it so much its perefectly normal. I didn't think it was anything special.
We are not talking about hearing EM waves, we are talking about sound that is produced by the high frequency circuits, and their related transformers, in the equipment mentioned here. This issue probably relates the range of hearing for each person. Some people can hear the really high frequencies and other people can't.

There has been some rumor that pulses of microwaves can cause clicking sounds in someone's head, but this is mostly based on alleged X-KGB documents. When the X-Soviet collapsed, allegedly, many of the KGB files hit the black market and were available to the highest bidder. I have seen several reports about this that claim the soviets were working on such technology, but it is just as possible, at least, that this is completely bogus. Obviously the motivation is clear. If you could produce clicks in someones head, you could also string the clicks together for sending secret messages to a target. If you hear about these claims you should take them very lightly at best. There is no way to know if these documents are genuine.

The short of it is that we don't know how to produce a sound in someone's head by using EM. If this can be done it is largely unrecognized; as far as I know. One reason I mention this is that I may have seen one credible report about this but I just can't be sure. Someone here in the US may have duplicated these results...

Ivan Seeking said:
I think mechanical stresses acting across the gap might still make the toroid "ring". In other words, I'm thinking that the forces that act to compress the toroid in the case of magnetostriction could still act to strain the material in a macroscopic, mechanical sense.
Yes. I think your logic is sound. When the coil is energised the magnetic circuit would try with all its power to close the gap and create the smallest possible path for itself.

Magnetostriction would have the opposite effect. It causes the magnetized object to physically lengthen. If that were at work, the gap would alternatly lengthen, return to normal, lengthen, return to normal...

By your mechanism the core would alternatly try to pinch shut at the gap, relax, shut, relax.

Either way, there is ringing.

Ivan Seeking said:
This issue probably relates the range of hearing for each person. Some people can hear the really high frequencies and other people can't.
I'm sure this is what's at work here. When the upper limit of human hearing is given as 20,000 hz it is only a statistic, an average of some sort. It isn't an absolute cut off point for all people.

The strange thing I discovered a few months ago is that people's brains are arranged such that different frequency bands of sound are processed in different locations in the brain. 1 to 3 kiloherz may be handled at one location, and 4 to 6 k at another, for example (those aren't exact figures). These different locations can actually develop different levels of sensitivity, and they can also be damaged such that, even with no physical damage to the ear, a person can have diminished ability to hear things in a certain range. This is a quite different phenomenon than when you have diminished hearing from, say, alot of rock concerts or industrial noises in which the ear mechanisms are damaged.

This is a relatively new field of exploration from what I understand. I started to speculate that a person could concievable have well above average responses in some frequency bands: above average sensitivity in the near utrasonic range, for instance. Alot more machines and devices would annoy them than what annoys most people.

Last edited:

Tsu

Gold Member
BoulderHead said:
Flickering lights affect me negatively.
Probably wouldn't be so bad if you could HOLD YOUR EYE STILL!!!!! :biggrin: