Experimental Physicist: Is Learning General Relativity Necessary?

In summary: Sure, you obviously won't be directly applying general relativity to most experiments. That being said, taking a class that possesses that level of difficulty will simply make you smarter and broaden your intellecual capacity. Which other classes can you take?
kratos
Hi, I am in my 3rd year and have General Relativity as one of my options.

I'm kind of feeling the peer pressure of selecting General Relativity, but putting all the hype aside, is it really necessary to learn General Relativity for an Experimental Physicist?

I have to say, maths isn't really one of my strong points, but I hear tensor calculus is quite different to what one is used to in normal physics based maths?

Will tensor calculus do me any good outside General Relativity/research/or even in the workplace?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Unless you intend to do experiments in general relativity there is no need to take it.
Note that this is not restricted to experimentalists. Also in >99% of the theoretical work done, gravity is not handled at all, or at the level of "F = m * g".

kratos said:

I'm kind of feeling the peer pressure of selecting General Relativity, but putting all the hype aside, is it really necessary to learn General Relativity for an Experimental Physicist?
<snip>

You didn't say what your other options are, so I can't say if a general relativity course is the best option for you. Education is about broadening your intellect- the mathematical and conceptual underpinnings of general relativity can also be applied to continuum mechanics, for example.

Andy Resnick said:
You didn't say what your other options are, so I can't say if a general relativity course is the best option for you. Education is about broadening your intellect- the mathematical and conceptual underpinnings of general relativity can also be applied to continuum mechanics, for example.

Hi, The other options clashing with General Relativity are JAVA and Physics of the Earth.

If I don't choose GR, just wondering which of the two modules would be more worth it in the long term as I'm still undecided in what I want to do after I graduate.

Both of the other classes would be easier and physics of the Earth sounds a lot more interesting.

kratos said:

I have to say, maths isn't really one of my strong points, but I hear tensor calculus is quite different to what one is used to in normal physics based maths?

Will tensor calculus do me any good outside General Relativity/research/or even in the workplace?

Thanks

Sure, you obviously won't be directly applying general relativity to most experiments. That being said, taking a class that possesses that level of difficulty will simply make you smarter and broaden your intellecual capacity. Which other classes can you take?

1. What is General Relativity and why is it important in experimental physics?

General Relativity is a theory of gravity developed by Albert Einstein that describes the relationship between matter, energy, and the curvature of space-time. It is important in experimental physics because it provides a framework for understanding the behavior of objects in the presence of strong gravitational fields, such as those found in black holes.

2. Do all experimental physicists need to learn General Relativity?

No, not all experimental physicists need to learn General Relativity. It is primarily used in the field of astrophysics and cosmology, so if your research does not involve these areas, it may not be necessary for you to learn it. However, having a basic understanding of the theory can be beneficial in understanding the broader concepts of gravity and space-time.

3. Can General Relativity be applied in practical experiments?

Yes, General Relativity has been extensively tested and has been shown to accurately describe the behavior of objects in gravitational fields. It has been used in practical experiments, such as the measurement of gravitational waves, to confirm its predictions and further our understanding of the universe.

4. Is it difficult to learn General Relativity?

Learning General Relativity can be challenging, as it involves complex mathematical concepts and requires a strong understanding of theoretical physics. However, with dedication and practice, it can be understood by experimental physicists and has been successfully taught in many universities.

5. Are there any alternative theories to General Relativity?

Yes, there are alternative theories to General Relativity, such as Modified Newtonian Dynamics (MOND) and Loop Quantum Gravity. However, these theories have not been as extensively tested or accepted as General Relativity, which is currently the most accurate theory of gravity we have.