1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it really oscilloscope?

1. Jul 30, 2011 #1
    Hello! One project I want to work on is an embedded systems project which I can measure voltage (both positive and negative) and plot it on a graph where the x axis is time and the y axis is voltage. Would this be considered an oscilloscope or would it be something else?

Also, I was thinking in order to measure negative voltage, I was thinking of applying a negative voltage to the cathode of a diode so that it conducts when negative voltage is applied then let the negative voltage go through an inverting amplifier so the mcu can measure the "negative voltage." (I know I have to consider things like bandwidth, and the fact that omp amps have a low pass response, but I'm saying hypothetically)

Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 30, 2011 #2
    An oscilloscope uses a time base that makes a periodic signal seem as a static picture. This is not what you had described.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook