Calculating Ice Melt from Heat Generated by a 54kg Skater Skating at 6.4 m/s"

• Thread starter Link
  • Start date
In summary, a 54kg ice skater skating at 6.4 m/s generates 1106 J of heat, with 50% of it being transferred to the ice. This results in only 1.6 grams of ice being melted, which may seem small but is accurate according to the latent heat of fusion of ice. The conversation ends with the confirmation that the calculations were correct and some lighthearted banter about expecting more ice to melt.
Link
A 54kg ice skater skating at 6.4 m/s stops. If 50% of the heat generated is transferred to the ice, calculate how much ice is melted.

My solution:

(54 x 6.4^2)/2 = 1106 J

1106 x 0.5 = 553 J

553 = m x 3.33 x 10^5 (3.33 x 10^5 is latent heat of fusion of ice)

m = 1.6 grams

It sounds too small to be true, can someone verify please?

Physics news on Phys.org
If the unit for ice melting latent heat is J/Kg,then it's okay...

Why surprised??

Daniel.

Link,

You are correct.

- Warren

Hey, you can hardly expect the whole skating rink to melt just because one skater comes to a halt!

lol thanks guys! I tend to doubt my calculations sometimes... I was expecting something on 10 grams :smile:

What is the formula for calculating ice melt from heat generated by a 54kg skater skating at 6.4 m/s?

The formula for calculating ice melt from heat generated by a 54kg skater skating at 6.4 m/s is Q=mL, where Q is the amount of heat energy, m is the mass of the skater, and L is the latent heat of fusion for ice.

How do I determine the mass of the skater in this calculation?

The mass of the skater is given in the question as 54kg. If you are using this formula for a different scenario, you can measure the mass of the skater using a scale or calculate it using their weight and the acceleration due to gravity.

What is the value of the latent heat of fusion for ice?

The value of the latent heat of fusion for ice is 334 kJ/kg. This means that it takes 334 kJ of energy to melt 1kg of ice at 0°C. This value may vary slightly depending on the purity of the ice.

Can this formula be used for other scenarios, such as a heavier skater or a faster speed?

Yes, this formula can be used for other scenarios as long as the mass of the skater and their speed are known. However, the latent heat of fusion for ice remains the same regardless of the scenario.

Are there any other factors that may affect the accuracy of this calculation?

Yes, there are other factors that may affect the accuracy of this calculation. These include the type and thickness of the ice, the temperature and humidity of the environment, and the efficiency of the skater's movements. These factors may cause slight variations in the amount of ice melt calculated.