Calculating Average Acceleration of a 747 Airplane

In summary: The purpose of converting to meters/second is that acceleration is measured in meters per second, and meters are the standard unit of distance.
dg_5021
A 747 airliner reaches its takeoff speed of 173 mi/h in 35.2s. What is the magnitude of its average acceleration?

(77.3341 m/s)/(35.2 s) = 2.20 m/s^2

I am wondering did I do it correctly?

Physics news on Phys.org
Except for the transformation from miles to meter, you sure did! And by "except", I don't mean that your transformation is wrong, I only mean that I don't know how to do the transformation, so I can't verify it. But the important part is that you used the right concept, that is,

[tex]a_{av} = \frac{\Delta v}{\Delta t}[/tex]

and did not forget yo convert the units of time so they match.

what means "correctly"?

dg_5021 said:
A 747 airliner reaches its takeoff speed of 173 mi/h in 35.2s. What is the magnitude of its average acceleration?

please clarify what you mean by that?
getting the right answer and "doing it correctly" are very different things. did your teacher/instructor/whatever want to see all of the steps involved? if so, your answer may be right but the "doing it" is invisible and can't be judged! :wink:

the "process" might be something like this:

((173 mi/hr)*(# ft/mile)*(#m/ft)*(1 hour/60min)*(1min/60 s))/35.2 s.

if i got all of the conversions in there and all of the units cancel right, the answer will be right for acceleration = delta v / delta t.

did that make sense?
cheers!
+af

[tex] 1Mph=\frac{1609.344}{3600}ms^{-1} [/tex]

Daniel.

ok, i'll bite...

dg_5021 said:

if the problem is stated in miles/hour and seconds for acceleration, what was the purpose of converting to meters/second? was that required by the problem, or are all problems' answers required to me in the metric system?

:cool:

Of course not...But in this case it would be rather awkward to express the acceleration in [itex] M hr^{-2} [/itex],don't u think...?

Daniel.

1. How do you calculate the average acceleration of a 747 airplane?

To calculate the average acceleration of a 747 airplane, you will need to know the initial and final velocities of the airplane, as well as the time it takes for the airplane to change its velocity. The formula for average acceleration is: a = (vf - vi) / t where a is the average acceleration, vf is the final velocity, vi is the initial velocity, and t is the time interval.

2. What is the unit of measurement for average acceleration?

The unit of measurement for average acceleration is meters per second squared (m/s²). This means that for every second, the velocity of the airplane changes by a certain amount in meters per second.

3. Can you calculate the average acceleration of a 747 airplane during takeoff?

Yes, it is possible to calculate the average acceleration of a 747 airplane during takeoff. To do this, you will need to measure the initial velocity at the start of the takeoff and the final velocity once the airplane has reached its cruising speed. You will also need to know the time it takes for the airplane to reach its cruising speed. Then, you can use the formula for average acceleration to calculate the value.

4. Why is it important to calculate the average acceleration of a 747 airplane?

Calculating the average acceleration of a 747 airplane is important because it allows us to understand how quickly the airplane is changing its velocity. This information can be used to analyze the performance of the airplane and make improvements if necessary. It can also help in predicting the time it will take for the airplane to reach its destination.

5. Are there any factors that can affect the average acceleration of a 747 airplane?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the average acceleration of a 747 airplane. These include the weight of the airplane, air resistance, and weather conditions. The airplane's engine power and thrust also play a significant role in determining its average acceleration.