Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it safe to supercool something in my house

1. Apr 11, 2005 #1
    i dont know if this should go in physics but oh well.

First off, is it safe to supercool something in my house. Second, is it even possible. Third, how cold would i have to get it to supercool it?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2005 #2

Pengwuino

Gold Member

What do you mean "super cool"???

4. Apr 11, 2005 #3
    its when a liquid stays a liquid below freezing, but if it is disturbed even slightly it will freeze, very fast.

5. Apr 11, 2005 #4

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Oh, i dunno

6. Apr 11, 2005 #5

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Depends on what the something is. It's safe with water, not so with Gallium (this has nothing to do with your house - but Gallium is toxic)
    Under the right conditions : yes.
    Again, this depends on what the "it" is. You have to cool it just below its freezing point. (I'm essentially quoting you here.) Different "its" have different freezing points.

7. Apr 11, 2005 #6
    After a quick google search :

1. Yes
    2. Yes.
    3. Unshaken, distilled water in a very clean glass bottle stored in a freezer for a few hours : it should crystallize when removed and slightly shaken if all goes well.

8. Apr 11, 2005 #7

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

NOTE : You want to make the freezer temperature be just (a couple degrees or so) below freezing. Too low and it won't work.

A piece of foam padding, a thin sponge, or even a folded washcloth under the container will help dampen vibrations from the compressor and floor.

The disturbance from opening the refrigerator/freezer door will usually be enough the cause crystallization. So, it will freeze up before you can see it...unless you're really, really careful.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?