Is the Difference of 4x10^-21 Significant?

• Thread starter sauri
  • Start date
In summary, the values 1.59x10^-19 and 1.63x10^-19 came up for the same experiment, and can we say that these two values agree? The difference is only 4x10^-21, so what do you think? can we say the values agree?..and then what of the difference? is it significant?What experiment were you doing? Were you trying to find the charge on an electron?It also depends on the resolution of the equipment you are using...No this question is for any experiment.
sauri
If the values 1.59x10^-19 and 1.63x10^-19 came up for the same experiment can we say that these two values agree? and can we say the difference is significant?

The diff is only 4x10^-21..so what do you think? can we say the values agree?..and then what of the difference? is it significant?

Physics news on Phys.org
What experiment were you doing? Were you trying to find the charge on an electron?

It also depends on the resolution of the equipment you are using...

No this question is for any experiment. In the case where, if any general experiment were to produce such results can they be see as agreable?.

it can be for any experiment. And the experiment itself is not relavent. Only that the above values were obtained. So in the merit of the numbers itself can the be seen as agreeable? and what of the difference of the two figures?.

I do believe that that as the diiference is small (x10^-21) the values are in agreement and the difference is not significant. So am I correct?.

The difference is in the order of [itex]10^{-2}[/itex], which I would say is fairly signifcant. However, If they are within the limits of the resolution of the equipment used, then you can say that they are in agreement.

um..when i deduct (1.63x10^-19) - (1.59x10^-19), i get (4x10^-21). am i doing something wrong here?. Assuming that I am correct, and if these were two different meassurements of an experiment (charge of an electron for example) then I would be correct in assuming that the difference is not significant..right?

yes you are correct, I'm not saying the you aren't correct, I was simpy stating the difference between the orders, i.e. -21 - - 19 = -2. Yes the difference could be considered not significant.

oh thanks..also would it be more accurate to list the answers as (1.59+-0.01)x10^-19 and (1.63+-0.02)x10^-19?. As you can imagine the +and - in the equation should be one on top of each other, but I can't seem to type that in correcty. but apart from that, if the two values were to be written as above can we say that the two values are not in agreement?

Why is the error different on the 1.63 one?

By the way, use \pm in latex to write [itex]\pm[/itex].

1. How do you determine if a difference of 4x10^-21 is significant?

To determine if a difference is significant, we need to compare it to the level of uncertainty or error in our measurement. This can be done by calculating the relative difference, which is the difference divided by the average of the values being compared. If the relative difference is greater than the level of uncertainty, then the difference is considered significant.

2. Can a difference of 4x10^-21 have a significant impact?

Yes, a difference of 4x10^-21 may seem small, but it can have a significant impact depending on the context. In some fields of science, such as particle physics, this difference may be considered significant and have implications for our understanding of the universe.

3. Is a difference of 4x10^-21 always considered statistically significant?

No, a difference of 4x10^-21 may not always be considered statistically significant. It depends on the level of uncertainty and the specific field of study. In some cases, a larger difference may be required to be considered statistically significant.

4. How does the level of precision affect the significance of a difference of 4x10^-21?

The level of precision in our measurements can affect the significance of a difference. If our measurements have a high level of precision, then a difference of 4x10^-21 may be considered significant. However, if our measurements have a lower level of precision, then a larger difference may be needed to determine significance.

5. Can a difference of 4x10^-21 be considered significant even if it is within the margin of error?

Yes, a difference of 4x10^-21 can still be considered significant even if it falls within the margin of error. This is because the margin of error is an estimation of the uncertainty in our measurement, and the actual difference may still be significant. It is important to consider both the difference and the margin of error when determining significance.