Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it the meadiem Light waves effect?

1. Sep 22, 2005 #1
    I heard about this from my teacher. What is it? Is it real? Is it the meadiem Light waves effect? Any help accepted.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 22, 2005 #2

DrChinese

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Welcome to PhysicsForums, Whitedragon!

You will be happiest if you simply accept that there is no ether. That is accepted scientific opinion.

4. Sep 22, 2005 #3
    but before i don't accept it, I want to know what it was considered to be. What people thought it was. Before i can judge something i must fully understand it.

5. Sep 22, 2005 #4

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

At one time it was thought that light (electromagnetic waves) required a medium in which to travel, much like sound requires a medium. That medium was called the aether. As Dr. C says, it is no longer believed to exist.

6. Sep 22, 2005 #5
    why is it no longer considered to exist?

7. Sep 22, 2005 #6
    If there is no way to detect it, it serves no purpose in the theory.

8. Sep 22, 2005 #7
    So were not sure wether or not that light has a mediem? If every other wave has one then surely light would?

9. Sep 22, 2005 #8

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It's not that we know that the aether doesn't exist. It's that the aether is superfluous. It isn't needed to account for anything that has been observed.

10. Sep 22, 2005 #9
    Makes sense i quess, but i still don't like the fact that we don't have an answer to how light travels. It desterbs me greatly.

11. Sep 22, 2005 #10
    You're gonna hate quantum mechanics.

12. Sep 22, 2005 #11
    ...we shall see...

13. Sep 22, 2005 #12

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sure we do, light travels by electromagnetic induction. Changing electric fields induce magnetic fields, and vice versa. When the fields are sinusoidal in both time and space, you get a monochromatic EM wave.

14. Sep 22, 2005 #13
    Ah! Brialliant! But I though electromagatism is a field not a substance.

15. Sep 22, 2005 #14

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Monochromatic light is indeed a sinusoidally varying EM field, and we know its dynamics (in other words "how it travels") very well.

16. Sep 22, 2005 #15

pervect

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There are basically two approaches one can take to reality.

One can study it on the basis of what one can measure. This is science.

One can argue about things that one can never measure. This is philosophy.

We can measure a great deal about light and gravity. This has lead us to our current scientific knowledge about both.

If you are interested in science, you would do well to study and think about thingks that can actually be measured, and put your philosophical questions on the back burner. You do not have to abandon them entirely, but you have to be able to recognize which questions can be tested by observation (are scientific), and which questions cannot be tested by observation (philosophical). Perhaps someday one realizes that a question one thought could not be tested can in fact be tested - at that point, the question leaves the relm of philosophy, and enters the realm of science.

Sometimes, oddly enough, people put philosophy first. They set up preconcieved notions of how reality "ought to be", in their personal opinion. They then rail against the scientific establishment when it rudely points out that that's not how reality has actually been observed to behave.

17. Sep 22, 2005 #16
    so what we are talking about here is a medium other than the one we are in right now that light must travel though before reaching its final destination?

if its anything like that then no its not real and does not exist. it is impossible.

18. Sep 23, 2005 #17

DrChinese

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ha, I said you be happier if you accepted my answer...

The question of "what does light travel through" is an artificial problem anyway. Why would it need to travel though anything? You can ask any number of similar questions (such as "why is water wet?"). Rather than get distracted by the questions we can ask, it is fruitful to focus on questions that get us to the next stage of our understanding.

As to the existence of the ether: if you change your definition enough, you can simply say that spacetime itself is the ether. Or phase space, or the quantum vacuum. Those are perfectly acceptable answers. Does that help?

19. Sep 23, 2005 #18

Danger

Gold Member

Aye. Does 'creationism' ring a bell?

20. Sep 23, 2005 #19
    I ask questoins to which I want answers. If I ask a question I don't care it it's worth asking, and I don't care if i don't like the answer as long as it's reasonable. I just want to know why things happen.

21. Sep 24, 2005 #20

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

I know it is disappointing, but sometimes the answer to such questions really is that the question itself is irrelevant, useless, or meaningless.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?