What is Triboluminescence and How Does it Work?

• Thread starter sln4tra
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discussed the phenomenon of triboluminescence and its historical discovery by astronomer Jean-Felix Picard in 1675. It was further clarified that the specific type observed was barometric light, which occurs when a mercury-filled barometer tube is shaken. The conversation also provided additional resources for a more detailed scientific explanation.
sln4tra
Hi all, I have had this on my mind for awhile now.
My dad used to make neon signs for a living and one day a man came in and showed him a doughnut shaped glass object. When he would tilt it it would start to glow, which surprised my dad because he had never seen something like that before. To clarify, there were no electrodes or power source attached. The man said he used pure neon and put a blob of mercury into the glass. On the bottom of the doughnut shaped object it was ribbed. From what I have read, it seems like it could be triboluminescence. To be honest I am just very curious how this would work. The man said that they were used by the navy in the ocean, the waves would churn and it would be pretty much constantly glowing. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi, sin4tra! Welcome to Physics Forums.

Yes, it was triboluminescence. Here's the Wikipedia page with a general description you can start with:
“A historically important instance of triboluminescence occurred in Paris in 1675. Astronomer Jean-Felix Picard observed that his barometer was glowing in the dark as he carried it. His barometer consisted of a glass tube that was partially filled with mercury. Whenever the mercury slid down the glass tube, the empty space above the mercury would glow. While investigating this phenomenon, researchers discovered that static electricity could cause low-pressure air to glow.”
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Triboluminescence

See this Wiki page for a good specific description:
“Barometric light is a name for the light that is emitted by a mercury-filled barometer tube when the tube is shaken.”
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barometric_light

For an exact scientific explanation, see this:
Letters to Nature, Vol. 391: 15 January 1998
“Picosecond discharges and stick-slip friction at a moving meniscus of mercury on glass
http://www.physics.ucla.edu/Sonoluminescence/fricelec.pdf

Thank you for the excellent answer!

What is triboluminescence?

Triboluminescence is the phenomenon where light is produced when certain materials are subjected to mechanical force, such as friction, crushing, or rubbing.

Which materials exhibit triboluminescence?

Some common materials that exhibit triboluminescence include sugar cubes, wintergreen lifesavers, and quartz crystals. However, many other materials can also produce this phenomenon.

How is triboluminescence different from other types of light emission?

Triboluminescence is different from other types of light emission, such as bioluminescence or fluorescence, because it is caused by mechanical force rather than chemical reactions or external energy sources.

What causes triboluminescence to occur?

The exact mechanism behind triboluminescence is still not fully understood, but it is believed to be caused by the separation of electrical charges within the material when it is subjected to mechanical force.

Can triboluminescence be recreated in a laboratory setting?

Yes, triboluminescence can be recreated in a laboratory setting by using specialized equipment to apply mechanical force to different materials. This allows scientists to study the phenomenon and its properties in a controlled environment.