Is it true not all of us can get a math degree?

• Programs
  • Thread starter kramer733
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Degree
In summary, the conversation was about the concept of having a "ceiling" in mathematical knowledge and whether or not anyone can succeed in a math degree with just hard work. The speakers discussed the idea of natural ability versus hard work and offered alternative career paths that involve mathematics. They also touched on the elitism in academia and the importance of finding employability after obtaining a math degree.
kramer733
So i was talking with 2 of my grade 12 math teachers. Both agreed that each individual person has their "ceiling" where they max out in terms of mathematical knowledge and advancement. This really got me discouraged because what's carried me through math was because i was always willing to work at it and work hard at it. So bottom line, is this really true? I'm scared because the only subject in school i like is math and anything math related. If i can't do this, i don't know what to do at all with my life. Or is all you need hardwork? I know a phd and masters is an exception but what i really just want is a regular math degree.

Physics news on Phys.org
kramer733 said:
Or is all you need hardwork? I know a phd and masters is an exception but what i really just want is a regular math degree.
Hard work will get you through a bachelors just fine; talent just makes it a bit easier.

kramer733 said:
This really got me discouraged because what's carried me through math was because i was always willing to work at it and work hard at it. So bottom line, is this really true?
No one can really give you a straight answer. Natural ability has some effect on how you do in higher level maths, but no one really knows how much. I have never seen a person who really felt math was interesting who wasn't able to do it. This may of course be because they have dropped out earlier for some reason, but this is purely anecdotal.

However I have seen a number of people arrive at university and find that they have no idea what math really is. That math is barely about calculations.

If i can't do this, i don't know what to do at all with my life.
Perhaps you should talk with someone with a bit more perspective on the matter than you. Maybe a guidance counselor at your school (if they have those), or maybe your parents. There are lots of alternatives that require skills that are close to that of mathematics. For instance I find that mathematicians or people thinking about choosing mathematics often find the following areas interesting:
- Physics (or other science-related subjects like chemistry, biology, etc.)
- Engineering
- Computer science
- Statistics
- Software engineering (programming)
What do you think about doing after college? If you just want a "regular" math degree (by which I assume you mean bachelor) there is not much chance of doing research mathematics so you will have to find something else you like (whether it's some applied form of mathematics, or something a bit more remote). I'm not saying math is not the right thing for you, but perhaps you should think a little more about the alternatives before committing to one subject.

Or is all you need hardwork?
Probably, but different kinds of people needs different amounts of hard work and if you need 23hours/day, then of course you won't be able to make it. However with some intelligent study habit and an interest in the subject I believe you would probably be able to succeed in
mathematics.

In many ways academics are elitists and a lot of people who went through some kind of degree like to think that not many people could have done that. People like to feel special. Given that their social groups like to as well it's easy to provide positive feedback in a social group that ultimately results in everyone having an exaggerated sense of how hard their degree is. I believe this to be part of the reason why it's common for people to delude themselves into thoughts like "only a select few can do <x>". If you are reasonably hard-working and able to study smartly, then you will be able to get a bachelors in mathematics.

thank you rasmhop. I wasn't sure that i could get a degree. I really have no plans on getting a masters or higher. I mean it would seriously be nice if i could but as of now, i'll take it one step at a time. Also, i really do hate elitists. Why can't they just let their ego go away and be nice? I believe math is like a skill where you can hone given enough practice. But having heard teachers who have actually been through the course, and telling me "you either have it or you dont'" is a downer.

Honestly i hope i do end up getting a math degree and after that, i plan on doing some minor in business or physics. Then i can find employability. Math is the best tool humans will ever have. I truly do believe this.

kramer733 said:
Honestly i hope i do end up getting a math degree and after that, i plan on doing some minor in business or physics. Then i can find employability.
You might like economics then, and the math involved tends to be very down to earth/practical.

As the question is currently phrased, I completely agree with rasmhop.

However, not all math degrees are created equal. In fact, if you tell me that you have a bachelor's degree in math, then you will have told me very little about your mathematical knowledge. Perhaps you went to a relatively easygoing college and you only reached analysis and algebra your senior year. Perhaps you went to Harvard and took Math 55 as a freshman. Perhaps you have a very strong focus on topology but almost ignored the other areas as much as you could. Maybe you got special permission to substitute math-intensive computer science courses for a few math courses. Who knows!

So whether anybody could do it with sufficient effort depends on what exactly you mean by a math degree. Just a plain old math degree--I don't see why the majority of people couldn't do that with effort. But if by math degree you mean taking graduate courses as a freshman and making As--no, I don't think very many people at all could ever pull that off. But some people do, and they will graduate with a math degree just like the other math-degree-holders did.

As for whether there's a ceiling or not, I don't think so, but I do think that there are various hurdles and that these hurdles may occur at different places for different people. For a lot of people the first hurdle might occur in transitioning from algebra to calculus and the second hurdle might occur in transitioning from lower-level math courses to upper-level ones, such as analysis or abstract algebra. There may be yet another hurdle in transitioning to graduate-level courses, and then another hurdle in transitioning to open-ended research work.

For some people these hurdles may be more severe than for others. For a few people the first few of these hurdles may not even exist and the latter ones may be reduced in magnitude. For others all of these may be very significant and difficult hurdles to overcome. It really varies a lot.

I think the severity of the hurdles is tied to how early you start taking mathematics education seriously and not necessarily talent (although natural talent can't be ignored). If you decide you want to pursue math serious after you're already in college and you've never really known much about it previously, these hurdles will all probably be very extreme because you will have a huge amount of catching-up to do. If you discovered a love of math back in junior high, you may with good preparation and timing be able to avoid essentially all of them. I suspect that many people would mistake your well-planned avoidance of the hurdles with some super-intelligence.

Last edited:
The transition from computational math to abstract math is a real doozy for the unprepared. If you tough it out and work really hard, it'll pay off.

I have a lot of interesting stories about how I arrived in my major. :biggrin: I was booted out of my high school my junior year for various reasons and ended up graduating from a remedial school with a GPA around 2.0, if I remember correctly. I bamboozled my way into college, and eventually switched over to an applied math major. While I'm clearly not some Ivy-educated Putnam Fellow knocking out grad courses left and right, considering my circumstances, I'm very happy with my accomplishments.

I'm a slow learner, I mean really slow. I'm not a genious -- far from it. Rather, I've gotten through my degree by having a strong interest in the subject and a good work ethic.

Last edited:
I go to school with prospective teachers. No offense to Grade 12 teachers, but I learned that high school teachers are not too bright. They make special math classes just for them because it's too hard. So in essence, they didn't even do an authentic math degree so how would they know?

Second, their is a limit or "ceiling" of learning in any field. That's just common sense. Not words of wisdom.

There is no such thing as a natural genius or natural talent. These are terms used only as excuses by people who are lazy as a reason to why they don't do something.

So if you want to do math you can do math. If you want to be the next Einstein you can be. Your "natural ability" isn't going to hinder you in anyway because there is no such thing.

irises28 said:
There is no such thing as a natural genius or natural talent. These are terms used only as excuses by people who are lazy as a reason to why they don't do something.

So if you want to do math you can do math. If you want to be the next Einstein you can be. Your "natural ability" isn't going to hinder you in anyway because there is no such thing.

I'd like to know what you're basing these grand claims on. Of course many people are more talented. I know someone who can do huge calculations in their head quickly, which I would take a minute+ to do on paper, if I try harder will I be able to do that? I'm not sure.

A good example I like to think of is that of Sherlock Holmes, you can see what he's doing, and you'd like to tell yourself you'd of seen it, but really he's in another league, it's just like that sometimes.

I don't know if I'd agree with the non-existence of "natural talent." People could work their entire lives and not accomplish what Euler or Gauss did in one year. And then there's the child prodigies...

With that being said, I tend to agree with you in a way. I think this whole "talent" business is blown way out of proportion. I think people underestimate what a little hard work and dedication can get you.

Chewy0087 said:
I'd like to know what you're basing these grand claims on. Of course many people are more talented. I know someone who can do huge calculations in their head quickly, which I would take a minute+ to do on paper, if I try harder will I be able to do that? I'm not sure.

A good example I like to think of is that of Sherlock Holmes, you can see what he's doing, and you'd like to tell yourself you'd of seen it, but really he's in another league, it's just like that sometimes.

I am basing these claims off past successful people and things that I have seen in my life. I am sure it would be nice for people to think that they are more naturally talented than some other people because it gives them a pedestal to look down on other people. And, like I said before, claiming that people are naturally talented gives others an excuse to get out of something which may be difficult to do.

I don't really consider being able to do large calculations in your head as talent as it has no worth. But yes if you practiced I am sure you would be able to do them as well. Of course there are people, savants, who can do crazy things in their head and obviously you or I no matter how much we practice could do such a thing. So I guess you could use that as an example of being naturally talented if you wanted.

I would love to hear some examples of people in physics or math who were "naturally talented" because all the ones who I know of were not. Everyone I can think of who was a "genius" or "naturally talented" was so because a result of passion/hard work. Einstein was so smart because he loved his subject and studied it a lot. He wasn't just born smarter than everyone else. All the people today or in the past who were exceptional in their field are not there because they were born with some talent in that area.

I mean do you honestly think that a child is born with some propensity to kick a soccer ball or throw a football?

I really think it's a matter of Will to power, Nietzsche would say we can achieve anything by hard work, all kind of triumphs require suffer, otherwise you cannot claim them as a success. So in fact, yeah, there may be people who has more facility on solving problems than others, or more readiness to understand abstract concepts; but that does not mean that they are going to succeed in physics. Einstein as people is posting as example was really a hard working physicist, also Dirac (oh man, he didn't even have life!). So as a conclusion I'd say that if you really want to succeed on something, you will really need an extreme eagerness for the subject and be totally ready to give up your social life.

If we were to slighly rearrange the order in your post:

irises28 said:
I would love to hear some examples of people in physics or math who were "naturally talented" because all the ones who I know of were not.

But then,

So I guess you could use that as an example of being naturally talented if you wanted.

So you sort of gave yourself an example. Those kid-prodigies fully warrant the term "talented." Even a cursory review of their accomplishments will convince you this is so.

Again, while nobody is denying the power of hard work, to say that "natural talent" does not exist is ludicrous.

My advice to you is take advantage of your youth and go to college with a plan and your passion, but one of the best things about college is the freedom to study what ever you want. My advice is take as many Math classes as you can and work as hard as you can, but if for some reason that isn't enough( which i don't believe) slide into another major that interest you. You are way to young to feel like life is over no matter what you fail at. Persistance is one of the best attributes you can acquire. Good Luck!

EG

irises28 said:
I mean do you honestly think that a child is born with some propensity to kick a soccer ball or throw a football?

Yes! But that's beside the point.

I believe that most people have the capacity to understand anything. The problem is that the process of realizing that capacity is unknown. It's all about finding the right approach to it, and some people naturally approach certain things in the right way. If you don't have a natural predisposition towards the correct approach, you either need very good guidance, or else you will struggle indefinitely to find it.

The most influential factor in an approach of math, though, is a love of the subject.

union68 said:
So you sort of gave yourself an example. Those kid-prodigies fully warrant the term "talented." Even a cursory review of their accomplishments will convince you this is so.

Again, while nobody is denying the power of hard work, to say that "natural talent" does not exist is ludicrous.

Sure if you want to give such a superficial argument. What I am trying to say is that the only sort of talent you can argue is perhaps for a savant. But a savant can't put anything together. They can factor primes or something but they can't publish a paper on general relativity.

The point I am trying to make is that there is no such thing as being born to do something. Child prodigies don't really exist. Say a kid is amazing at the piano, its not because he was born that way and if you look at his life you would see this.

There are sort of 2 ways to define natural talent. The way you are defining it is analogous to this:

Someone is small and double jointed so they can fit in a small box. Therefore she is naturally talented at fitting into boxes.

And sure that's true and that's one way of defining it I guess. If you are defining it that way then yes its absurd to say natural talent doesn't exist. But I am not defining it that way.

irises28 said:
Everyone I can think of who was a "genius" or "naturally talented" was so because a result of passion/hard work. Einstein was so smart because he loved his subject and studied it a lot. He wasn't just born smarter than everyone else. All the people today or in the past who were exceptional in their field are not there because they were born with some talent in that area.
This is an extremely bold claim that have no scientific backing at all and do not come from any other logic other than "It would be nice if everyone was created equal and success just was about passion".

Einstein for example did not just work hard, he had an extremely revolutionary way to look at nature compared to other physicists at that time. His accomplishments are so large and many that he is in his own league, no other physicist in history can measure up to him.

You could say that he got some random insights that made him who he was and not natural talent, but that is even more far fetched than the ideas of natural talent.

Also, don't you believe in evolution? Monkeys are obviously not able to learn high level maths. Humans are. Somewhere along the evolutionary line humans developed a brain capable of the abstract thinking needed for maths. Claiming that this is a binary trait is ridiculous, same with claiming that all humans somehow equalized their brains along the way.

Lastly people are not born to kick footballs, but they can be born with genes encoded with better spatial intuition, better muscle fibres and better hormone distributions than others. Same as how some are born with codes for a clearer memory, better ability to visualize and being better at making connections between relating subjects.

I'll certainly agree that hard work is a more important factor in success than talent. Hard work and moderate talent will beat lazy but more talented every single time.

But great talent *combined* with hard work will leave everyone else in the dust...

But going back to the OP's question, I think that almost anyone who puts in enough work can get a B.S. in mathematics.

TMFKAN64 said:
I'll certainly agree that hard work is a more important factor in success than talent. Hard work and moderate talent will beat lazy but more talented every single time.
Not really, it depends on how you define all of those parameters. I can definitely say that I have a better track record with courses than many hard working people and I am among the laziest and most unmotivated people you can find.

And it isn't even that strange. Pose that you have a person who have a very good memory and a good intuition. The memory allows him to retain the information after a single lecture and the intuition let's him sort the information to make it practical. Voilà, you now got a student who will barely need to study and still get decent grades and those traits aren't even that remarkable.

Also what is it with this stigma about intelligence? I mean, who cares if you do something through hard work or natural talent? It is not like you can change your motivation or childhood just like that either. I think it is just a remnant of the old "It is not cool to sit and study" you get back in middle school, you are cool if you don't have to study but a nerd if you do or something like that. Why do people still care about that even after they have left high school?
The other explanation would be that people adore freaks. Kinda like if someone has a strange accent everyone will ask him about it.

I really admire and am sort of jealous of hard workers, I can't imagine how anyone could be that motivated.

Last edited:
irises28 said:
I would love to hear some examples of people in physics or math who were "naturally talented" because all the ones who I know of were not.

I'm sorry but this statement is ridiculous, Isaac Newton, aged 23 there or thereabouts, normally the time current students finish their undergraduate degree, founded the binomial theorum and began to invent calculus, as well as his work in principia including F = Ma. Now, if you believe he wasn't naturally talented, you must therefore agree that Newton loved, or put more effort into his studies than anyone else in that era, which highly unlikely.

You must also think that, because no-one is naturally talented, Rodger Federer has played more tennis than everyone else, or is more passionate for tennis than anyone else.

Don't get me wrong, hard work is unbelievably important, and no-one can be really successful without working hard and having a passion for what they do. But saying that everyone processes information at the same speed and is equally creative as one another is ridiculous.

There are people at my college who put in 3 to 4 times as much work as some students, attending workshops and staying after school while students constantly getting full marks are playing football or going out.

kramer733 said:
So i was talking with 2 of my grade 12 math teachers. Both agreed that each individual person has their "ceiling" where they max out in terms of mathematical knowledge and advancement. This really got me discouraged because what's carried me through math was because i was always willing to work at it and work hard at it. So bottom line, is this really true? I'm scared because the only subject in school i like is math and anything math related. If i can't do this, i don't know what to do at all with my life. Or is all you need hardwork? I know a phd and masters is an exception but what i really just want is a regular math degree.

It's true that everyone has their ceiling but some people just never know where it is. The only way to find out is to try. But when trying, do it with all your heart and commitment. If you do less than this you will fail certainly if you don't have a high ceiling. If you have a high one things will get easier and you will be fine. Also, when trying hard, don't forget your friends and your family and yourself. Life isn't made of just math or physics. Remember the words of the Great Guitar Player :smile: : "If you pick the string too hard, it will break, if you pick too light, it won't make an audible sound. Somewhere in the middle is fine!"

I care to add an interesting point of view to this discussion. I'm a musician and I've found that there is also the natural talent argument in this field too. Either you're born to play or not. I don't have any scientific evidence that says either natural talent or hard work. But I have found that the best musicians I've met have been very hard workers. They have either been embarrassed to prove themselves (i.e. Minton's Playhouse) or just obsessed to become good. They might have started out faster (more talented) than others but still had to work hard to develop skills.

Many musicians I know also speak of "steps" in their playing abilities. They practice something that is hard for them and seemingly don't get any better. Then, one day it clicks, that piece/phrase they were practicing isn't hard at all anymore. I agree with this concept when doing Math/Physics too.

Concerning putting the parts together. I've found many examples of this in music too. The best musicians are the ones who can glue the ideas together. Sure, you can get those freak machines that can play something incredibly fast. It's impressive and others can't physically go that fast. This could be an argument for natural ability. But the problem is most of those incredibly fast players might not be able to make the music feel and breathe (put the parts together). Like another poster said, it's scary when you can find both talent and hard work. Good luck to the OP on whatever decides.

Here is what one will need to be able to do in order to obtain a degree in maths:

- Learn rules
- Remember rules
- Follow rules
- Learn patterns/relationships
- Recognize patterns/relationships
- Troubleshoot
- Exercise your imagination
- Manage your time well

Go for it! :smile: Mathematics takes a great deal of practice. One's self-perception is the biggest limitation one can face. Do not limit yourself and you'll be surprised at how high your ceiling is!

Klockan3 said:
Voilà, you now got a student who will barely need to study and still get decent grades and those traits aren't even that remarkable.

The problem is that eventually, this student will hit a wall. Maybe in high school, maybe not until grad school... but at *some* point in everyone's life, it takes hard work to make progress.

I admit though, this is usually the point when people stop making progress... :-)

TMFKAN64 said:
The problem is that eventually, this student will hit a wall. Maybe in high school, maybe not until grad school... but at *some* point in everyone's life, it takes hard work to make progress.

I admit though, this is usually the point when people stop making progress... :-)
I think it is more demoralizing for those who work hard and still hits a wall rather than for those who don't work hard and hits a wall. I figure that if I really want something then I will work, if it didn't mean that much then I obviously don't care so it is fine too.

Everyone no matter who they are or how much they work will always have limitations.

TMFKAN64 said:

I agree. Somebody's wall may be college algebra. Another person's may be algebraic topology or some other esoteric field. That's when you find out what you're really made of. I know that for me, I have had a real tough time with upper level physics courses. Stupid Lagrangian mechanics!

For all the bickering over "natural" talent, it's good to see so much encouragement for the OP!

kramer733 said:
So i was talking with 2 of my grade 12 math teachers. Both agreed that each individual person has their "ceiling" where they max out in terms of mathematical knowledge and advancement. This really got me discouraged because what's carried me through math was because i was always willing to work at it and work hard at it. So bottom line, is this really true?
Sure it's true. For instance you live a finite amount of time and you can't learn everything there is in such a little time. I think some people never reach any ceiling before dying. It's probably the case of many great/famous mathematicians, but I'm pretty sure also for many other contemporary mathematicians.
Just learn as much as you can, maybe you won't see any wall over your head before dying.

I would like to believe that all you need is hardwork. I'm not expecting to become the next einstein or euler or descartes. But i would like to know and assume if all you need is hardwork. Last term in grade 11 math class i had nothing coming in (i didn't know anything about algebra or isolating or even factoring. I didn't even know how to solve for b in a linear function.) but i really worked hard in that course. I woke up 6:25 every morning and got help from my grade 11 math teacher. I stayed after school to do more work and basically did math for 10 hours a day concentrated on that course. I know it seems like a lot of time just for one course but hey, i needed it.

That math teacher (he only has a minor in math but he's an amazing person overall and that's what counts.) is sort of my mentor now. He believes hard work can triumph everything and i agree with him. But a couple of days ago, a lot of the math staff told me upfront it was really hard to get a math degree and that a lot of it is talent.

Also i would like to thank all of you for your motivational words. I know there is natural talent but i just wanted reassurance that math was more than just natural talent and hardwork. I don't care if i have to take 6 years to get my math degree. I will do it at my own pace. I don't want to get discouraged either. Eventually i will believe though that i will be the hare. As of now, I'm still the tortoise. Thank you =)

Last edited:
kramer733 said:
I would like to believe that all you need is hardwork. I'm not expecting to become the next einstein or euler or descartes. But i would like to know and assume if all you need is hardwork. Last term in grade 11 math class i had nothing coming in (i didn't know anything about algebra or isolating or even factoring. I didn't even know how to solve for b in a linear function.) but i really worked hard in that course. I woke up 6:25 every morning and got help from my grade 11 math teacher. I stayed after school to do more work and basically did math for 10 hours a day concentrated on that course. I know it seems like a lot of time just for one course but hey, i needed it.

That math teacher (he only has a minor in math but he's an amazing person overall and that's what counts.) is sort of my mentor now. He believes hard work can triumph everything and i agree with him. But a couple of days ago, a lot of the math staff told me upfront it was really hard to get a math degree and that a lot of it is talent.
Every study made suggests that those who believe that talent doesn't matter does better than those who do believe in talent, at least for middle school maths. The problem is that once it starts to be about college you have something to lose on it as well so it isn't always positive to do it since you might go further into a field you can't live on than necessary. But for now try to believe in it since it won't hurt you until you actually makes the decision. Make a mantra like "I can do it if I want to" or so.

Have you done calculus yet? See how that goes, if it turns out that you can get good grades in calculus I believe that you can get a maths degree without ruining your life at the same time but if it is a huge struggle you might want to rethink, but until then having doubts just hurts you.

Klockan3 said:
Every study made suggests that those who believe that talent doesn't matter does better than those who do believe in talent, at least for middle school maths. The problem is that once it starts to be about college you have something to lose on it as well so it isn't always positive to do it since you might go further into a field you can't live on than necessary. But for now try to believe in it since it won't hurt you until you actually makes the decision. Make a mantra like "I can do it if I want to" or so.

Have you done calculus yet? See how that goes, if it turns out that you can get good grades in calculus I believe that you can get a maths degree without ruining your life at the same time but if it is a huge struggle you might want to rethink, but until then having doubts just hurts you.

Haha well i had that mantra going into grade 11 math but it was only because i have a mentor to guide me through. I now have two mentors (my brazilian jiu jitsu teacher and my grade 11 math teacher).

I am currently doing calculus now and getting murked. I'm not entirely sure if it's because i haven't taken grade 12 advance functions yet (the pre requesite course) or because it has a higher learning curve to it. I do believe though that i can master the high school calculus course though. It really isn't that bad if i put more time into it. I'm just not used to the workload at the moment. I really like it too because it really adds another dimension to math in my opinion.

kramer733 said:
I really like it too because it really adds another dimension to math in my opinion.
That is a really sign! Then studying maths for real is doing this over and over and over and over etc. There is just so much to discover in maths that it is insane!

kramer733 said:

Answer this riddle and you'll know the answer to your inquisition :

The greatest genius of our time said which on of the following :

A) "Genius is 99% inspiration and 1% perspiration"

B) "Genius is 99% perspiration and 1% inspiration"

kramer733 said:
So i was talking with 2 of my grade 12 math teachers. Both agreed that each individual person has their "ceiling" where they max out in terms of mathematical knowledge and advancement.

I don't think it really works that way. My experience has been the limit is the amount of time and effort that you put into learning something. You don't have infinite amounts of time and effort so there is a ceiling in that sense.

Also the more you know, the more you know that the less you know. The difference between what I know and what I know I don't know has be increasing over time.

Chewy0087 said:
Now, if you believe he wasn't naturally talented, you must therefore agree that Newton loved, or put more effort into his studies than anyone else in that era, which highly unlikely.

I think it's quite likely.

I think talent is *seriously* overrated. I do think that people have some differences in the ways that their brains work, but it's hard to correlate that with "math achievement". For example, I can handle differential geometry just fine, but I'm totally, totally dreadful at arithmetic or anything that requires memorization.

But saying that everyone processes information at the same speed and is equally creative as one another is ridiculous.

They don't, but some of us managed to figure out ways around are deficiencies rather than giving up. Personal, I think I do have a "natural talent" in that I tend to keep going at something after most people give up. I also have a talent for intellectual masochism.

There are people at my college who put in 3 to 4 times as much work as some students, attending workshops and staying after school while students constantly getting full marks are playing football or going out.

And actually I was one of those people that had to struggle a lot in college. Again, if I'm not struggling I get very bored, so I just keep working on something that keeps me from boredom. If I start getting A's in something I get annoyed, and I make the test harder so that I'm doing something I get barely passing grades in.