Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it true that Saddam asked for US permission before invading Kuwait ?

1. Nov 23, 2004 #1

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

This is an honest question.

Back to Gulf war I:
    the rumor ran in the beginning of the 90ies that a few days before he invaded Kuwait, Saddam asked the US ambassador for the permission to do so. The answer was that they didn't support it, but that they considered it as a local affair in which they wouldn't intervene.
    Is there anything known about it ? Is it just a rumor or was there something to it ?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2004 #2
    Actions of the US such as these are very well documented. Seeing as Saddam was CIA's lackey prior to invading Kuwait I have no reason to doubt this claim (I've heard it before).

4. Nov 23, 2004 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Interesting self-contradiction there: there is documentation so you don't need to see documentation? Well, lets see the documentation anyway...

There was a meeting between Hussein and the American Ambassador, which is the basis for this claim. HERE is a transcript, and the US ambassador's response to Hussein was:
    We certainly did not give our permission. In fact, we were asking his intentions. His response was rhetoric. In hindsight, maybe it should have been taken more seriously.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2004
  5. Nov 23, 2004 #4

vanesch

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Ah, thanks! I understand that much better now.
    Indeed, being an Ambassador in those countries deserves a BIG salary, because you have to weight every single word, apparently :smile:

6. Nov 23, 2004 #5

russ_watters

Something I forgot - its that first sentence that I quoted that is cited as the US giving permission to attack Kuwait.

7. Nov 23, 2004 #6

jcsd

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I tyhink the question should be did Sadam think thta the US gave him permission to invade Kuwait as I remeber reading that though the uS didn't gve him permission Saddam was mistakenly under the impression that the US had greenlighted the invasion.

8. Nov 23, 2004 #7

russ_watters

That quote could have been wishfully-interpreted by Saddam as saying we wouldn't do anything to stop him.

9. Nov 23, 2004 #8
    On a related note, can someone confirm that the Iraq-Kuweit border crosses an underground oil-bed and that there was an agreement from both sides not to pump it, but then Kuweit did, and that is what got Saddam to mobilise his troops? What was Kuweit's justification for pumping this oil and breaking the agreement? Why didn't Saddam not simply pump his own side of the bed instead? Elaboration appreciated. I was too young to care at the time.

10. Nov 23, 2004 #9

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't know about Hussein believing that gave him permission, but that comment, added to his impression of the US commitment to war in other places (Lebanon, Viet Nam), probably gave him a strong impression that the US wouldn't enter into and sustain a 'tough' war (actually, it wasn't entirely unreasonable to believe no one would care enough about Kuwait to kick Iraq out - Kuwait wasn't very popular).

He's consistenly had troubles understanding the US and predicting how people will react. The pre-war controversy over WMD is a good example. Destroying them would leave Iraq defenseless in Hussein's eyes. Keeping them would almost certainly result in detection and harsh punitive action. Destroying them and any possible evidence, but reacting as if he had something to hide left everyone in the dark.

Could Iran mount a new war against Iraq with impunity? Did he really destroy those missiles, or would Tehran be bombarded with chemical weapons as soon as Iran invaded? Could the US invade Iraq with impunity, or would the troops be confronted with deadly chemical and biological weapons every step of the way? No one could be sure. Every decision by his foes would be filled with uncertainty.

Well, at least that was the theory. And a damn fine theory that was.

11. Nov 23, 2004 #10

russ_watters

There is a shared oil field, but I'm not real up on the specifics. HERE is an article with some insight.

12. Nov 23, 2004 #11
    I can try to answer a little bit:
    Kuwaitis are known in the M.East to be the most greedy SOB's(after israelis :wink: ), and they were pumping oil illegally from underneath Iraq, thus driving price of a barrel of oil very low.Iraqi foregn minister has appealed to the internnational comunity to solve this problem( v.well documented) but nothing happened.
    Iraq has just emerged from devastating war with Iran with huge debt and Saddam. H needed cash badly.(one part of equation solved)
    .But most important thing is, if not for the Iraq and its opposition to the fannaticall Iranians, Iran would swept whole Arabian peninsula.Saddam felt Kuwaitis, Saudis and other had huge debt to him, but instead repaying in kind they screwd him.

13. Nov 23, 2004 #12
    Thanks russ and tumor. Exactly what I was looking for. It seems funny that Saddam thought Kuwait and Saudi A. owed him. Since the US backed Iraq quite a lot in that Iran-Iraq war, K. and S.A. were apparently equally indebted to the US. Perhaps lowering gas cost was a way to say thanks.

14. Nov 23, 2004 #13

russ_watters

Well, there is some spin in tumor's post: he's talking about political debt (ie, that Iraq saved the rest of the middle-east from Iran) - the financial debt that Iraq was in was one of the reasons for the war. Saddam figured that since he saved them, he shouldn't have to pay them back.

15. Nov 24, 2004 #14
    Couldn't he have chosen to do like Kuweit and produce more oil than was allowed by the quotas, to help pay his financial debt?

16. Nov 24, 2004 #15
    He could do that i guess, but then how low would oil price go? on the other hand, he could not let some cockroaches dictate his oil production policy.
    Saddam had enough problems with Kurds in the north and Shiites.

17. Nov 24, 2004 #16

kat

is that what the Kuwaiti's are to you?

18. Nov 24, 2004 #17
    I remember when that young Kuwaiti lady at the beginning of the first Gulf war accused Iraqi soldiers of throwing in the Kuwaiti hospital babies from incubators to the ground and leaving them to die
    I was shocked when i heard this, but many years later truth came out and all this was a fabrication by CIA/Kuwaiti sheiks! What is more interesting that girl is a daughter of Kuwaiti ambassador to the USA.
    So.. to me Kuwaitis are nothing more than a lying SOB's, My apologies to the coackroches you are much better!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2004
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?