Is it true? we don't gain weight more than the weight of food we eat?

In summary: Proteins are the most important of these, as they provide the body with the largest amount of energy. In summary, the body uses the energy from the carbs, triglycerides, and proteins in the food it consumes to function.
Chitose
Hello, Chitose here

Just as the topic said,

I'm I right? to believe that our body never gain weight more than weight of food we eat (and drink).

'cause mass won't come from nothing.

we eat 100g of food, when it came out is less than that, part of it become our body mass (weight, height, etc) even drink also the same.

I ask because my friend won't believe it.
She try to diet, she says she eat vegetarian food (such as salad) for less calorie and high fiber, but she eat whole lot of it... and still fat...

and...

to control our body weight, which one is to considered most? calorie or amount?

a single cup of instant noodle (High cal, low amount), and bowl of salad (Low cal, high amount) which one going to make me fat?

English is not my native language, sorry if I'm wrong in spelling or gamma.

Biology news on Phys.org
Chitose said:
Hello, Chitose here

Just as the topic said,

I'm I right? to believe that our body never gain weight more than weight of food we eat (and drink).

'cause mass won't come from nothing.

we eat 100g of food, when it came out is less than that, part of it become our body mass (weight, height, etc) even drink also the same.

I ask because my friend won't believe it.
She try to diet, she says she eat vegetarian food (such as salad) for less calorie and high fiber, but she eat whole lot of it... and still fat...

and...

to control our body weight, which one is to considered most? calorie or amount?

a single cup of instant noodle (High cal, low amount), and bowl of salad (Low cal, high amount) which one going to make me fat?

English is not my native language, sorry if I'm wrong in spelling or gamma.
No, it is not correct, the weight of the food you eat is irrelevant, it is how many calories that are in the food that matter.

It sounds like your friend knows what she's talking about. The actual amount of energy, measured in calories, in the food is what matters. There are different forms of energy, called carbohydrates (sugars), lipids (fats), and proteins. Proteins aren't anything to worry about when it comes to controlling one's weight. It's sugars and fats that contribute significantly to body weight. Sugars do more to prevent one from burning the stored fats than to actually increase weight. Most of body weight (above normal) is stored fat. So, in short, eat less calories and especially avoid food/drink high in carbs, because the are used before fats stores, and thus slow weight loss.

The point of fiber is that it's like filler. It has no calories, but it makes you less hungry just by the fact that it's in your stomach.

TylerH said:
There are different forms of energy, called carbohydrates (sugars), lipids (fats), and proteins.

While I get what you are saying, you are lucky no physicist have seen it, as that would be a crackpot ban.

Borek said:
While I get what you are saying, you are lucky no physicist have seen it, as that would be a crackpot ban.

Haha, how about this? There are several molecules, namely carbohydrates, triglycerides, and proteins, that the body is capable of breaking down to utilize their energy, which is stored in the chemical bonds therein.

1. Is it true that we don't gain weight more than the weight of food we eat?

There is no simple answer to this question. Weight gain is a complex process that is influenced by many factors, including genetics, metabolism, physical activity, and diet. While it is true that weight gain ultimately comes down to consuming more calories than we burn, the source and composition of those calories can also play a role. So, it's not as simple as saying that the weight of the food we eat is the only factor in weight gain.

2. What happens to the excess calories if we don't gain weight from the weight of food we eat?

If we consume more calories than our body needs, the excess calories are stored as fat. This is our body's way of storing energy for future use. So, even if we don't see an immediate increase in weight, those excess calories are still being stored as fat and can contribute to weight gain over time.

3. Can certain foods cause us to gain more weight than others?

Yes, certain foods can contribute to weight gain more than others. Foods that are high in refined sugars and unhealthy fats tend to be more calorie-dense and can lead to weight gain if consumed in excess. On the other hand, whole, nutrient-dense foods like fruits, vegetables, and lean proteins tend to be lower in calories and can help with weight management.

4. Do our bodies process different types of food differently, affecting weight gain?

Yes, our bodies do process different types of food differently. For example, refined carbohydrates like white bread and sugary drinks are broken down and absorbed quickly, causing a spike in blood sugar and potentially leading to weight gain. On the other hand, high-fiber foods take longer to digest and can help us feel fuller for longer, potentially aiding in weight management.

5. Is weight gain solely determined by the amount of food we eat?

No, weight gain is not solely determined by the amount of food we eat. As mentioned earlier, genetics, metabolism, physical activity, and overall diet also play a role in weight management. Additionally, factors like stress and sleep can also impact weight gain. It's important to take a holistic approach to weight management and not just focus on the quantity of food we consume.