Antimatter and Time Travel: Exploring Feynman's Theory and Implications for QM

• Thread starter Schrodinger's Dog
  • Start date
In summary, according to Feynman, antimatter travels back in time. However, this has little practical implications and is mostly theoretical at this point.
Schrodinger's Dog
I was reading that apparently antimatter travels back in time according to Feynman(OK on the internet admittedly)

What implications does this have for QM?

More important is this actually factual or internet jabber.:smile:

Was Feynman correct in his assertion, and what is the current thinking about such strange ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Schrodinger's Dog said:
I was reading that apparently antimatter travels back in time according to Feynman(OK on the internet admittedly)

Feynman pointed out that the desription of a positron moving forward in time is identical to that of an electron moving backward in time, however I doubt he ever said "antimatter travels back in time."

Though this is pretty slap dash, I think a decent way to think about it is to consider the Fourier components of the electron field. The 'matter' components have a term [tex]e^{-ip.x} = e^{i(Et - \mathbf{p.x})}[/tex] while the 'antimatter' components have [tex]e^{ip.x} = e^{i(-Et+ \mathbf{p.x})}[/tex] instead. There's a change in the sign of the 'iEt' term in the exponent. You can either interpret this as '-E' going in the +t direction (antimatter moving forward in time) or '+E' going in the '-t' direction (matter going backwards in time).

It's not very rigorous and I half expect someone will come along and set me right, but I think it's a fairly simple way of seeing how such an interpretation can come about.

Ok that sounds much more reasonable, the usual half stated half baked ideas you find on the web I guess. Interesting but not quite Earth shattering. Thanks guys :smile:

This is called the Feynman-Stuckelberg Interpretation, and is used to get around having negative energy solutions of the wave equations.

Severian said:
This is called the Feynman-Stuckelberg Interpretation, and is used to get around having negative energy solutions of the wave equations.

Yeah I looked it up, thanks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antiparticle

The Feynman-Stueckelberg interpretation

Observer 1 sees two particles, one propagating inside the light cone, the other outside the light cone. Observer 2, moving at a uniform velocity with respect to the first observer, could then see the second particle as moving back in time, and with reversed charge: hence as an antiparticle. However, the mass and lifetime of such a particle would remain unchanged, as a consequence of relativity.By considering the propagation of the positive energy half of the electron field backward in time, Richard Feynman showed that causality is violated unless some particles are allowed to travel faster than light. However, if a particle is moving faster than light, another inertial observer would observe that the particle was traveling backward in time with the opposite charge.

Hence Feynman reached a pictorial understanding of the fact that the particle and antiparticle have equal mass m and spin J but opposite charges q. This allowed him to rewrite perturbation theory precisely in the form of diagrams, called Feynman diagrams, of particles propagating back and forth in time. This technique now is the most widespread method of computing amplitudes in quantum field theory.

This picture was independently developed by Ernst Stueckelberg, and has been called the Feynman-Stueckelberg interpretation of antiparticles.

I know how everyone hates wikipedia but it does have some relevant information, and seeing as the reference is Feynman should be fairly accurate..

1. What is antimatter and why is it important in time travel?

Antimatter is a type of particle that has the opposite charge and spin of its corresponding matter particle. It is important in time travel because it has the ability to travel through time in a way that matter cannot, according to Feynman's theory of quantum mechanics.

2. How does Feynman's theory explain time travel using antimatter?

Feynman's theory states that when a particle and its corresponding antiparticle collide, they can annihilate each other and release energy in the form of photons. However, if this process is reversed, where the photons collide and form a particle-antiparticle pair, it is possible for the antiparticle to travel back in time.

3. Can antimatter be used as a means of time travel in practical applications?

At this point in time, there is no practical way to use antimatter for time travel. While the theory allows for the possibility, the amount of antimatter needed for such a journey is currently beyond our technological capabilities.

4. What are the potential implications of using antimatter for time travel?

If we were able to harness the power of antimatter for time travel, it could potentially lead to a number of ethical and moral implications. It could also have a significant impact on our understanding of the laws of physics and the nature of reality.

5. How is the concept of time affected by the use of antimatter in time travel?

According to Feynman's theory, time travel using antimatter would not violate the laws of causality since the particles are simply moving backwards in time and not altering any events in the past. However, it does raise questions about the nature of time and whether it is a linear concept.