No Thread Here: Proving Why the World Does Not Exist

In summary, the topic of whether the world exists or not is a complex one that has been debated in various contexts. In the Platonian context, it is considered to exist because it is imaginable. However, in the physical sense, it is uncertain whether it never existed or if there is an annihilation operator in place. From a mathematical standpoint, the world is considered to not exist because it has not been properly defined. Philosophically, the question still remains unanswered, as one person sent to find the answer got lost in the library. This conversation also led to the discussion of the poem "Antigonish" and its author, Hughes Mearns.
epenguin
Homework Helper
Gold Member
that a thread about why the world does not exist does not exist?

Physics news on Phys.org
epenguin said:
In the Platonian context, it exists, because it is imaginable.
In the physical sense, it has to be examined, whether it never existed, or whether there was an annihilator operator in place.
In the mathematical sense, it is true that it does not exist, because nobody properly defined it.
In a philosophical sense, it is still undecided. Someone has been sent to find out, but he got lost in the library while searching for the meaning of "existence".

Btw: A mysterious note had been found this morning reading: So Long, and Thanks For All the Fish.

Likes 1oldman2 and epenguin
just come to memory by an association...

Take this kiss upon the brow!
And, in parting from you now,
Thus much let me avow —
You are not wrong, who deem
That my days have been a dream;
Yet if hope has flown away
In a night, or in a day,
In a vision, or in none,
Is it therefore the less gone?
All that we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.

I stand amid the roar
Of a surf-tormented shore,
And I hold within my hand
Grains of the golden sand —
How few! yet how they creep
Through my fingers to the deep,
While I weep — while I weep!
O God! Can I not grasp
Them with a tighter clasp?
O God! can I not save
One from the pitiless wave?
Is all that we see or seem
But a dream within a dream?

Likes 1oldman2 and epenguin
That reminded me of, then I thought it is too well known, then I thought again with such an international and intergenerational membership maybe it will be new to somebody:

The other day upon the stair
I saw a man who wasn't there
He wasn't there again today
How I wish he'd go away!

Likes OCR
epenguin said:
... maybe it will be new to somebody...
I think it will always be new to somebody ...[COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR] :oldwink:

I've always thought it was such a classic piece of work...[COLOR=#black]..[/COLOR]:approve:

epenguin said:
That reminded me of, then I thought it is too well known, then I thought again...

I'm glad you did,[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR]:thumbup:[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR]and for those that don't know, the name of the poem is ... "Antigonish" , and the author was Hughes Mearns .

And, thank you ...[COLOR=#black].[/COLOR]:ok:

epenguin said:
Yeah, we don't host philosophical threads anymore. Probably because you don't exist.

Likes SammyS, dlgoff and phinds

1. What is the main argument of "No Thread Here: Proving Why the World Does Not Exist"?

The main argument of "No Thread Here: Proving Why the World Does Not Exist" is that the concept of reality and the world as we know it is an illusion created by the human mind. The author argues that there is no concrete evidence to prove the existence of the world and that our perceptions and experiences are subjective and unreliable.

2. How does the author support their argument?

The author uses philosophical reasoning and scientific evidence to support their argument. They draw on concepts from fields such as quantum mechanics, neuroscience, and psychology to show that the world is not as real as we perceive it to be. They also use thought experiments and logical deductions to challenge traditional beliefs about the existence of the world.

3. What are the implications of the book's argument?

If the argument of "No Thread Here: Proving Why the World Does Not Exist" is accepted, it would mean that our understanding of reality and the world is fundamentally flawed. It would also call into question the validity of scientific research and the concept of objective truth. Additionally, it could have significant implications for our perception of self and our place in the universe.

4. What are some potential criticisms of the book's argument?

Some potential criticisms of the book's argument could include the lack of empirical evidence to support the claims made by the author. Others may argue that the concept of the world being an illusion is too abstract and goes against our common sense understanding of reality. Additionally, some may argue that the book ignores the practical implications and consequences of denying the existence of the world.

5. Is "No Thread Here: Proving Why the World Does Not Exist" a widely accepted theory?

No, "No Thread Here: Proving Why the World Does Not Exist" is a controversial and highly debated theory in the scientific and philosophical communities. While some may find the argument intriguing, it is not widely accepted and is often met with skepticism and criticism. The concept of the world not existing also goes against our everyday experiences and understanding of the world, making it a difficult idea to accept for many people.