Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it valid to subtract a position vector of direction E with one of direction W?

1. Jul 9, 2012 #1
    Is it valid to subtract a position vector of direction E with one of direction W or do they both have to have the same dierction when using the net displacement formula?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2012 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

They must be treated as vectors. 10 units E minus 10 units W does not equal zero, if that's what you're thinking. (You can only subtract components that are along the same direction.)

4. Jul 9, 2012 #3

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If they are in opposite directions, you can subtract. If E and W mean East and West, you can subtract.

5. Jul 9, 2012 #4

Doc Al

Good point! For some reason, I was thinking of East and South, but I'm sure you're right that it means East and West. Good catch. (Oops!)

6. Jul 9, 2012 #5

Doc Al

Let me answer it again, given mathman's clarification:

Yes, you can subtract them since they are parallel. But realize that 10 units W is the same as -10 units E. So 10 E - 10 W = 10 E - (-10 E) = 20 units E.

Make sense?

(Glad that mathman was awake.)

7. Jul 9, 2012 #6
    In your mind, what is the physical interpretation of the addition/subtraction of such position vectors?

8. Jul 9, 2012 #7

jbriggs444

Science Advisor

If I drive 10 miles east, turn around, put the car in reverse and drive another 10 miles while facing west, the result is 20 miles travelled to the east.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook