1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it weird to give a thank-you gift for letters of reccommendation?

1. Mar 4, 2015 #1
    I noticed that there is another thread on this, however my situation is a bit different in that I am only a junior so it is very possible I will be asking these professors for a letter of recommendation again. I think that a gift card or something similar would be a bit inappropriate (though I did buy a gift card for my internship supervisor who I will never see again), but I just made cookies, and didn't know if it would be appropriate to each give them a dozen or so. I am in a very small physics department in the US, so all of my professors know me quite well.

Anyway... thoughts?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 4, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Why not bring in a box of cookies or goodies for the whole department instead and says thanks for everything they've done and taught you?

4. Mar 4, 2015 #3

Choppy

Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

Technically a gift in exchange for a letter of reference can call into question the authenticity of the reference letter. And officially your department may have a strict policy against something like this.

That said, for all practical purposes I don't think anyone would bat an eyelash at some cookies as a thank-you.

Besides, this is a scenario that can end very succinctly with the phrase, "what evidence?"

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook