Is a High-Cost Undergraduate Degree Worth the Debt for Aspiring Scientists?

• Thread starter kaos86
  • Start date
  • Tags
    debt
In summary, the conversation discussed the high tuition costs at the University of Vermont, which is causing the individual to consider other options for their Ph.D. in physics. They discussed the possibility of using financial aid, grants, and scholarships to cover the costs, and also considered attending a cheaper school. The conversation concluded with a list of financial aid packages and scholarships available at the university.
Since you're from Florida there are some things about "up north" that I don't think you fully appreciate. You see, we have this thing called "winter." You speak of wanting to be able to walk or bike everywhere. This is particularly comical since you were considering Burlington, VT, and now are considering Buffalo, NY. Buffalo gets several FEET of snow every winter and often has temperatures below zero Fahrenheit. Believe me, you are going to be in for a rude awakening if you, a native Floridian, think you're going to enjoy walking or (haha!) BIKING around town in the middle of winter.

I really think you need to stay in-state. Not because of the climate, but rather because you are being semi-delusional with all this debt that you think you want to accumulate.

Physics news on Phys.org
Buffalo is definitely a no-go for a southerner. Early season lake-effect snowstorms can often drop FEET of snow at once. Even central Maine gets storms of 12-20 inches without the natives raising an eyebrow. I must say that if one has interests in materials and engineering U of M offers world-class educational/research opportunities.

Google on "Bridge in a backpack". U of M engineering students are also generally on the forefront in developing wood-composite materials. We have LOTS of trees here.

You know that Gainesville (the city where UF is) isn't that big especially compared to the other schools in the state. UNF in Jacksonville (my school) is pretty small and not great, although really cheap with FA and scholarships you'll be making money going to school. The city is very large however (takes me about 20-40min to get to campus), but the campus is next to a mall-type area with plenty of different stores.

UCF is in orlando and is quite large. Of course Orlando being a urban area and a major tourist place might make this play unattractive. USF is in Tampa so another large bustling city. Same with FSU being in the capital.

UF is closest to what you are looking for and one of the best schools in the nation. Getting away from home is understandable, but choosing a city outside of your own is pretty far away. You don't need to spend that much money just to get as far away as possible. You'll really regret it when that money actually will mean something to you.

Secondly there's nothing stopping you from spending your undergrad years closer to home and then transferring for grad school. At that point you'll probably be better off. The B.S might net you a better part time job and you might have better transportation options.

Don't let that teenage independence syndrome cloud your better judgment. We all hate Florida, but in reality it ain't that bad.

MassInertia said:
Since you're from Florida there are some things about "up north" that I don't think you fully appreciate. You see, we have this thing called "winter." You speak of wanting to be able to walk or bike everywhere. This is particularly comical since you were considering Burlington, VT, and now are considering Buffalo, NY. Buffalo gets several FEET of snow every winter and often has temperatures below zero Fahrenheit. Believe me, you are going to be in for a rude awakening if you, a native Floridian, think you're going to enjoy walking or (haha!) BIKING around town in the middle of winter.

I really think you need to stay in-state. Not because of the climate, but rather because you are being semi-delusional with all this debt that you think you want to accumulate.

Actually, I'm from up north. I was born and raised in Queens, New York. Moved to Florida when I was 13. BTW, I love the cold. :smile:

Last edited:
Chunkysalsa said:
You don't need to spend that much money just to get as far away as possible. You'll really regret it when that money actually will mean something to you.

Well, here are some few things that will not complicate this debt issue:

1.) I will never get married or have kids.(I like being alone, but I do enjoy having friends.)

2.) I will never need a car.(Gotta love the buses and subways.)

3.) I will spend my whole life focused on physics and get some theories working(I'm actually working on one theory and my dissertation for the Ph.D. in physics.)

People get married all the time, right? Well, I never want a family because its a hassle and too much work when coming home from work.The things in life I can deal with is paying bills and going to a job I love that involves physics. The problem with today's society is that people "Think" they have to get married. I'm 23 yrs old and in 13 years I hope I will have my Ph.D. in physics. In my life time, I just want to expand physics even more. I have no desire to have children or a nagging wife. Some of you think I will be miserable in my life being alone, but the real joy in my life is being creative.

It's really naive to say all of that. You don't know what the future holds and what things you will experience. Opinions, beliefs, goals, etc all can change with time.

You say you don't want to get married until you find a person you want to get married too. Its impossible to predict the future but if you take on such a large debt you will be in a bad situation even if your life is in a good one. Imagine if things take a turn for the worst financially, this burden will cripple you.

Haven't you ever heard the expression, "Never say never"?

Perhaps he meant to say that he doesn't believe in marriage.

Chunkysalsa said:
It's really naive to say all of that. You don't know what the future holds and what things you will experience. Opinions, beliefs, goals, etc all can change with time.

You say you don't want to get married until you find a person you want to get married too. Its impossible to predict the future but if you take on such a large debt you will be in a bad situation even if your life is in a good one. Imagine if things take a turn for the worst financially, this burden will cripple you.

Haven't you ever heard the expression, "Never say never"?

In order for me to make a good future, is to work hard at all cost. I do agree that I cannot predict the future, but I can plan a future for myself. Plans can go wrong only if you let it go wrong. Never had any desire to have a future with another person. Being a "workaholic" has its ups and downs on anyone. For MY plan to work, I need to work hard as much as I can.

I would encourage people to follow their dreams but to always attach enough "reality" chains to those dreams, in case situations don't develop as one hoped. In your case, it seems you are not chasing a dream, but a fantasy. It also seems you were seeking reassurance.

If your heart is set on attending University of Vermont, despite the price tag, by all means, attend University of Vermont. You were provided with all the appropriate information, opinions, and comments necessary to make an informed decision. You should be able to deal with the consequences as they come. Best of luck.

Mathnomalous said:
I would encourage people to follow their dreams but to always attach enough "reality" chains to those dreams, in case situations don't develop as one hoped. In your case, it seems you are not chasing a dream, but a fantasy. It also seems you were seeking reassurance.

If your heart is set on attending University of Vermont, despite the price tag, by all means, attend University of Vermont. You were provided with all the appropriate information, opinions, and comments necessary to make an informed decision. You should be able to deal with the consequences as they come. Best of luck.

Lol! Actually, the people in this community helped me get away from the U. of Vermont. I'm looking at U. at Buffalo now. It's less expensive and the PF community did help me re-think my decision. We all have our "dream" school, but the PF community help me do more research. I'm glad I made this topic because I like to hear opinions from others.

kaos86 said:
Lol! Actually, the people in this community helped me get away from the U. of Vermont. I'm looking at U. at Buffalo now.

As I said before, look at U-Minnesota.

contramundum said:
As I said before, look at U-Minnesota.

lol, yeah, I'm researching that university, too. I'm trying to decide between other universities as well.

contramundum said:
Perhaps he meant to say that he doesn't believe in marriage.

Whoa, hold it. I do believe in marriage. I just can't imagine myself being married. Its not something I would do because maybe I just gave up the whole dating ritual. Or, I might be the weirdest person on this forum.

kaos86 said:
Whoa, hold it. I do believe in marriage. I just can't imagine myself being married. Its not something I would do because maybe I just gave up the whole dating ritual. Or, I might be the weirdest person on this forum.

Okay, my mistake.

Do what you want, but no it is not worth it. Not even close. You are better full filling your dream there as a grad student when they will pay you to go. Plus you can stay longer :)

I think an undergrad degree will probably be fine at a cheap school, because you're probably going to rack up a pretty good debt during grad school anyways. My undergrad school is about 18 grand a year with no financial aid package. After my financial aid package, I have about a $1,000 debt per semester, which I can make back while working that semester relatively easy.

Paying that much money for an undergrad degree that isn't going to do you much good until after you complete grad school is just a waste of that much money. Most universities will have an established physics department, which will be more than sufficient for an undergrad degree.