Is it worth it to get a Bachelor of Mathematics after a PhD in Physics?

In summary: Western Governor's University program to get people certified as teachers covers almost every state to my knowledge. You can go to their...
Gjmdp
Everybody knows Mathematics it's an important field in every Science; and in Physics even more. So, if you have a PhD in Physics, for example Astrophysics; is it worthly to get a degree in Mathematics?
I know that maybe there's some courses that would be completely useless in Physics, but you know, maybe it's better for getting a job. What do you think about this? Has anybody a PhD in Physics and a Bachelor on Mathematics?

Physics news on Phys.org
So you have a PhD in physics, and you want to know whether a bachelor in math is useful? No, it's not. It won't open up any more job opportunities than you already have now. Of course, if you're really interested in pure or applied mathematics, then go for it. But do it out of interest since there is no other good reason to do this.

Likes CalcNerd, Jaeusm, Student100 and 1 other person
There are a great many people who have a bachelor's in mathematics and a PhD in physics, but I expect that all of them would have obtained the bachelor's before embarking on their PhD.

From what I understand, a Bachelor's in Mathematics is good for those who want to continue onto graduate school but not good for those who want a terminal degree.

Gjmdp said:
Everybody knows Mathematics it's an important field in every Science; and in Physics even more. So, if you have a PhD in Physics, for example Astrophysics; is it worthly to get a degree in Mathematics?
I know that maybe there's some courses that would be completely useless in Physics, but you know, maybe it's better for getting a job. What do you think about this? Has anybody a PhD in Physics and a Bachelor on Mathematics?

A PhD in Physics requires a lot of mathematical knowledge. Often the math is taught as part of the physics, but just the parts needed. But you will still need to take differential equations, linear algebra, vector analysis, and complex analysis. Sometimes a school will offer a couple of courses in "applied math for scientists and engineers', or some such name. A PhD followed by a BA/BS in math makes little sense. Heck, take some graduate math and get an MS in math if that floats your boat, but don't expect the market to care too much.

Likes CalcNerd
One possible logical reason for getting an undergraduate degree in Mathematics, AFTER earning PhD in Physics, is to justify your eligibility in your state for you to teach Mathematics in junior high schools or high schools. Yes! For that, you need either the undergraduate degree in MATHEMATICS, or the equivalent.

symbolipoint said:
One possible logical reason for getting an undergraduate degree in Mathematics, AFTER earning PhD in Physics, is to justify your eligibility in your state for you to teach Mathematics in junior high schools or high schools. Yes! For that, you need either the undergraduate degree in MATHEMATICS, or the equivalent.

To teach middle or high school math you would need a degree in mathematics education. The actual math content of the degree would be considerably less than for a straight math degree. The system in almost all states is heavily biased towards education degrees where you do a couple of internships teaching under supervision. It matters not a whit that you taught undergraduates in college. I know, I tried for years to get a teaching job in a HS. I taught freshman courses in college as a GTA, passed the state exam easily, but did not have that all important education degree. In general, you cannot just take the required education courses to qualify, except at Western Governors University, an online program. Lot cheaper than a BSE too.

I'm currently a PhD student in physics and have bachelor's degrees in both physics and mathematics. The math degree hasn't been of much use.

AgentCachat said:
To teach middle or high school math you would need a degree in mathematics education. The actual math content of the degree would be considerably less than for a straight math degree. The system in almost all states is heavily biased towards education degrees where you do a couple of internships teaching under supervision. It matters not a whit that you taught undergraduates in college. I know, I tried for years to get a teaching job in a HS. I taught freshman courses in college as a GTA, passed the state exam easily, but did not have that all important education degree. In general, you cannot just take the required education courses to qualify, except at Western Governors University, an online program. Lot cheaper than a BSE too.
Do you know the official statement of requirements, and for which State this if for?

symbolipoint said:
Do you know the official statement of requirements, and for which State this if for?
Western Governor's University program to get people certified as teachers covers almost every state to my knowledge. You can go to their website and get more info. They will assist you in finding a school to do an internship. For a specific state go to the state licensing board for teachers. Some states have a program where a person without an education degree can apply for a teaching job and get certified after a year or two. I can tell you from experience the chances of that happening are low. But you can try. Again, check with your state board, or maybe call a local school system. Good luck.

1. Is getting a Bachelor of Mathematics after a PhD in Physics redundant?

No, pursuing a Bachelor of Mathematics after a PhD in Physics can provide you with a more specialized and well-rounded education. It can also open up additional career opportunities in fields such as data science or finance.

2. Will getting a Bachelor of Mathematics after a PhD in Physics make me overqualified?

Not necessarily. While you may have a higher level of education, having a Bachelor of Mathematics can demonstrate your strong analytical and problem-solving skills, making you a desirable candidate for many positions.

3. How long will it take to complete a Bachelor of Mathematics after a PhD in Physics?

The time it takes to complete a Bachelor of Mathematics after a PhD in Physics can vary depending on the program and your individual circumstances. It typically takes 2-3 years, but some universities offer accelerated programs that can be completed in as little as 1 year.

4. What are the benefits of pursuing a Bachelor of Mathematics after a PhD in Physics?

Earning a Bachelor of Mathematics after a PhD in Physics can provide you with a more specialized skill set, making you a valuable asset in a variety of industries. It can also enhance your problem-solving abilities and give you a competitive edge in the job market.

5. Can I pursue a Bachelor of Mathematics after a PhD in Physics if I do not have a strong background in mathematics?

Yes, it is possible to pursue a Bachelor of Mathematics after a PhD in Physics even if you do not have a strong background in mathematics. Many universities offer preparatory courses or bridge programs to help students catch up on any necessary math skills before starting the program.