Comparing Telescopes: Konus 500 vs Konus 200 vs Mead LDX55

• Thread starter Squeeze
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Telescopes
In summary: The cheapest telescope he found is the Knous 500, which comes with a mount, tripod, RA motor with hand control, sight scope, polar scope, moon filters, and two eye pieces for $159. - He then looked at the Konussky 200, which is an f5, RA and Dec motor controls, tripod, two eye pieces, a camera adaptor for digital cameras, sight scope, polar scope, and moon filters for $519. - He saw the Mead LDX55 8" telescope for $699, which comes with a single eye piece, mount, RA and Dec motor with hand control.-
Squeeze
I've been thinking of getting a telescope. At first I was looking at the cheaper models that weren't too impresive but then I found the Knous 500. It's a 4.5" f5 telescope that comes with mount, tripod, RA motor with hand control, sight scope, polar scope, moon filters and two eye pieces for $159.00. It isn't capable of working with any goto technology unless you get a mount that has goto. But then I was looking at the 8" Konussky 200, which is an f5, RA and Dec motor controls, tripod , two eye pieces, a camera adaptor for digital cameras, sight scope, polar scope, and moon filters for $519.00. But then I saw the Mead LDX55 8" for $699 with no goto. It has only one eye piece, mount, RA and Dec motor with hand control.

So I think for just starting out the Konus 500 is a great deal, but is it worth it to get the larger scopes, I mean is it all that much fun?

Astronomy news on Phys.org
What's your experience level? If you're just starting out, then don't get a telescope. Get large aperature binoculars instead. They'll show less but they'll be fun, educational, easier, cheaper, and more mobile.

A 4.5" scope will get you some good basic sights. I'm kind of guessing, but it seems that 8" to 12" is a good range for a serious/experienced stargazer.

Fun? Certainly, if you love astronomy.

Forget the Chinese achromatic refractors. Most are not worth owning for any price. Particularly, try to stay away from the short-focus (low f-ratio) achromats, because they will show a lot of false color.

Also, forget equatorial mounts - they are expensive and unnecessary unless you're doing photography (and a Chinese achromat won't be useful for any photography anyway).

What you want to start with is a fairly large aperture, high-quality Dobsonian reflector, like the Orion SkyQuest series, seen here:

http://www.telescope.com/jump.jsp?itemType=CATEGORY&itemID=8

They're the ultimate in ease-of-use. You plop them on the ground, and point at things. You can even buy an optional computer that will help you find targets. You will not find as much aperture for as low a price anywhere else. Orion manufacturers some killer scopes for people just getting started.

If space is tight and you don't want a large refractor, you might want to consider the Orion ShortTube 80. It's a popular grab-and-go scope. It *is* a short-focus achromat, so it has drawbacks. If you buy an achromat, consider buying a minus-violet filter to cut down on the false color. The Sirius MV20 is my minus-violet filter of choice.

Don't forget to pick up a unity-gain finder like a Telrad or a Rigel QuickPoint to go along with your new scope.

If you didn't understand a word I just said, please ask for a clarification.

- Warren

Last edited:

1. What are the main differences between the Konus 500, Konus 200, and Mead LDX55 telescopes?

The Konus 500 and 200 are both refractor telescopes, while the Mead LDX55 is a reflector telescope. This means they use different types of lenses and mirrors to gather and focus light. The Konus 500 has a larger aperture, which allows for better light-gathering capabilities and higher magnification. The Mead LDX55 has a longer focal length, making it better suited for viewing distant objects.

2. Which telescope is better for beginners, the Konus 500 or 200?

The Konus 500 is a better option for beginners due to its larger aperture and higher magnification capabilities. This allows for clearer and more detailed views of celestial objects. However, the Konus 200 is also a good choice for beginners on a budget.

3. Can these telescopes be used for both terrestrial and astronomical viewing?

Yes, all three telescopes can be used for both terrestrial and astronomical viewing. However, the Mead LDX55 may not be as suitable for terrestrial viewing due to its longer focal length and larger size.

4. Are there any notable differences in the build quality of these telescopes?

The Konus 500 and 200 have similar build quality, both featuring sturdy aluminum construction. The Mead LDX55 has a slightly higher quality build with a more durable steel tube, but this also makes it heavier and less portable.

5. Which telescope offers the best value for its price?

The Konus 200 offers the best value for its price, as it is more affordable than the Konus 500 and Mead LDX55 while still providing decent magnification and image quality. However, the Konus 500 may be worth the extra cost for those looking for higher magnification and clearer views.