I Don't Waste Time Pondering Unanswerable Questions

• Thread starter Pagey
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Thinking
In summary, the conversation discusses the idea of questioning the purpose of life and whether it is worth thinking about or not. The speakers express their views on the matter and the idea that some philosophical questions may be unnecessarily complex.
Pagey
Theres so many questions, why are we here, what's our purpose etc...

Why does there have to be an answer, can't we just accept what is, and live life in ignorance?

I'm sure many will argue that tryign to find the answer to the ultimate question is our purpose in life, but if there is no answer and there is no purpose, arn't we trying to solve an unsolvable problem, maybe it is our ignorance of thinking we can answer the question that provides the drive to keep doing so.

But to me finding answers isn't living, its wasting time, our most valuable comodity, and therefore i can only conclude 'get busy living, or get busy dieing'.

Im young and perhaps my views will most certainly change with age, but i struggle to see the point in thinking about the ultimate question of purpose, meaning and exsistence.

What do you think?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you just contradicted yourself.

And why would that be?

Reread your title and your first sentence!

yeh but if you read all i put, i have asked if the question is worth thinking about, that doesn't mean i don't think about it. As i have already said i struggle to see the point in doing so, but that doesn't mean it doesn't cross my mind. Stop trying to be a smart arse and actually contribute to the question.

Look, I honestly do believe that the contradiction implies the answer: yes, it is worth thinking about such things. Or, perhaps just that there is no way around them.

Pagey said:

Why does there have to be an answer, can't we just accept what is, and live life in ignorance?

I'm sure many will argue that tryign to find the answer to the ultimate question is our purpose in life, but if there is no answer and there is no purpose, arn't we trying to solve an unsolvable problem, maybe it is our ignorance of thinking we can answer the question that provides the drive to keep doing so.

But to me finding answers isn't living, its wasting time, our most valuable comodity, and therefore i can only conclude 'get busy living, or get busy dieing'.

Im young and perhaps my views will most certainly change with age, but i struggle to see the point in thinking about the ultimate question of purpose, meaning and exsistence.

What do you think?

I also share similar views:
Work until you die
meaning of life: world of warcraft (or similar game, that has infinite levels)

philosophy: waste of time (must stay away from it! - should learn ASP.Net instead, or do something that can really help others)

Maybe I am 19, so I believe in actions.

Pagey said:

What do you think?

Without getting into the whole contradiction of you actually wasting some of a valuable commodity such as, time, to address an issue you don't feel is worth addressing, I will say I agree to a certain extent.

A lot of philosophical questions that some people find complicated only become complicated because they added their human bias to it. A perfect example would be "what is the purpose of life?" That seems like a meaningless question. I say it's 'meaningless' because it really doesn't add any valuable insight on how to live your life. People will give you different answers, sometimes contradicting other answers, and even history will show you that there's no absolute formula for living that would equal 'purpose.'

So yes, I agree that some philosophical issues have unnecessary layers to them. I still don't understand why some people have to constantly add unfounded layers to an issue, but that's just the way it is.

1. What is the purpose of thinking about something?

The purpose of thinking about something is to gain a deeper understanding of a topic, problem, or situation. It allows us to analyze and evaluate information, make connections, and come up with new ideas or solutions.

2. How do you know if something is worth thinking about?

Something is worth thinking about if it aligns with your personal values and goals, if it is relevant to your life or work, and if it has the potential to lead to meaningful insights or solutions.

3. Can thinking too much about something be harmful?

Yes, overthinking can have negative effects such as causing anxiety, stress, and mental exhaustion. It is important to have a balance and know when to take breaks from thinking about a particular topic.

4. How can we improve our thinking abilities?

There are various techniques and strategies that can help improve our thinking abilities such as critical thinking, problem-solving, and creativity exercises. It is also important to continuously learn and expand our knowledge and perspectives.

5. Is it necessary to always think deeply about everything?

No, there are times when quick and automatic thinking can be beneficial. However, for complex or important matters, it is beneficial to take the time to think deeply and critically in order to make informed decisions and come up with innovative solutions.