Proving Discontinuity at Integers for f(x) = [x2]-[x]2

• Thread starter vkash
  • Start date
In summary: However, you will need to find a software that can graph f(x) and also support fractional part function(x-[x]).
vkash
first of all see question
question:-> Prove that f(x) = [x2]-[x]2 is discontinuous for all integrals values except 1.
[x] denotes greatest integer function OR [x] means greatest integer less than or equal to x.

I think this is discontinuous for +- sqrt(k) where k denotes an whole number(0,inf).
try values you will get the point.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your question?

SammyS said:
What is your question?

Is this question correct or not. (red part)
OR
either this question correct or incorrect.(red part)
question is marked as red and my explanation is in black words.

vkash said:
first of all see question
question:-> Prove that f(x) = [x2]-[x]2 is discontinuous for all integral values except 1.
[x] denotes greatest integer function OR [x] means greatest integer less than or equal to x.

I think this is discontinuous for +- sqrt(k) where k denotes an whole number(0,inf).
try values you will get the point.
Yes, the question appears to be correctly worded.

You are correct in observing that it is discontinuous for additional values of x, not mentioned in the question.

As to whether the function is continuous at x = 1, what are the following limits?

lim x→1+ f(x)

lim x→1 f(x)

SammyS said:
Yes, the question appears to be correctly worded.

You are correct in observing that it is discontinuous for additional values of x, not mentioned in the question.

As to whether the function is continuous at x = 1, what are the following limits?

lim x→1+ f(x)

lim x→1 f(x)
thanks now i am confirmed
If any other person wants to answer then he is welcomed.

Evaluate f(x) on the interval 0 ≤ x < 1 and then on the interval 1 ≤ x < 1.4 .

SammyS said:
Evaluate f(x) on the interval 0 ≤ x < 1 and then on the interval 1 ≤ x < 1.4 .
I also so do that but in between sqrt(25) to sqrt(36).

So you agree that f(x) is continuous at x = 1 ?

SammyS said:
So you agree that f(x) is continuous at x = 1 ?
Oh man(sorry if you female) you are getting wrong meaning of my words. I mean that it has also point of dicontinouty other than '1'.
first when i do this as i see this question i feel that it will discontinous at all integers after confirming it i try to put sqrt(k) where k is whole number[0,infinity) it was also discontinous at square root of all whole numbers. then i post it here to confirm that is it wrong and now i am sure that question is wrong.
Do you know any graph drawing software that support greatest integer function and fractional part function(x-[x]). I have already one but that does not support these 2 function({} and[]).

If you want to do a beautiful question then see this. I am not requesting for help for this question. This issue is solved after 64 replies of some good persons(do you have already seen that).
Just test your root basic with this question.

Last edited:
Yes, as I said in post #4 of this thread, f is discontinuous for many values which are not integers. However, the problem only says to prove discontinuity at integer values other than 1.

So, it is not a wrong question.

1. Is it possible for a question to be wrong?

Yes, it is possible for a question to be wrong. A question can be considered wrong if it is based on false assumptions or incorrect information.

2. How can I tell if a question is wrong?

There are a few ways to determine if a question is wrong. One way is to fact-check the question and see if the information it is based on is accurate. Another way is to consult with experts or do research to see if the question is valid.

3. Can a question be wrong even if it is grammatically correct?

Yes, a question can be grammatically correct but still be wrong. Grammar is just one aspect of a question, and it is important to also consider the content and context of the question in determining its accuracy.

4. What should I do if I realize I have asked a wrong question?

If you realize that you have asked a wrong question, the best thing to do is to clarify or rephrase the question. This will help ensure that you are seeking accurate information and avoid confusion or misunderstandings.

5. Is it important to ask the right questions?

Yes, it is important to ask the right questions. Asking the right questions can lead to valuable insights, new knowledge, and better understanding of a topic. It also helps to avoid wasting time and resources on incorrect or irrelevant information.