1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it y-intercept?

1. Jun 14, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A crop dusting airplane flying a constant speed of 120 mph is spotted 2 miles South and 1.5 miles East of the center of a circular irrigated field. The irrigated field has a radius of 1 mile. Impose a coordinate system as pictured, with the center of the field the origin (0,0). The flight path of the duster is a straight line passing over the labeled points P and Q. Assume that the point Q where the plane exits the airspace above the field is the Western-most location of the field. Answer these questions:

1. Find a linear equation whose graph is the line along
    which the crop duster travels.

2. Relevant graph

8xQMv3u.png

3. The attempt at a solution

The problem is just an example given in the textbook, and here's their solution:

1. Take Q = (−1, 0) and S = (1.5,−2) = duster spotting point. Construct a line through Q and S. The slope is −0.8 = m and the line equation becomes:
    y = −0.8x − 0.8

And my question is where did this y = −0.8x − 0.8 come from? Is it y-intercept? I'd assume it should be maybe: y = −0.8x − 2

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2014 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What is the value of y in your equation when x = 0? Does this equation match then match the diagram?

Do you know how to find the y-intercept of a linear equation?

4. Jun 14, 2014 #3

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

@maxpancho: You have two points given on the line, ##(-1,0)## and ##(\frac 3 2, -2)##. Do you know how to write the equation of a straight line through two given points? Try it and see what you get.

5. Jun 15, 2014 #4
    Well, okay. So it's like I find b by taking a point (0,b) and then plug it into the origial equation. But that's what initially confused me click ...that they used y1 as it is.

But I think I understand now. It's just another way of writing an equation of a line. In the first example it is written in a slope-intercept form, which is y = mx + b. And thus here we must first find the y-intercept m and then plug it back into the original equation.

And in the second example it is written in a point-slope formula y = m(x − x1) + y1. Because I guess it is more convenient in this case, since m here would equal −2168140,17647058... But the equation is still valid, just not very practical.

So I figure I could write the equation from the initial example as: y = −0.8(x − 1.5) − 2, which gives the same y = −0.8x −0.8 (oh wait, so then there was no need to plug 0,b trying to find m)...

Is it correct?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2014
  6. Jun 15, 2014 #5

haruspex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Check whether it gives the right answer for two different values of x. If it does, it must be right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted