Y-Intercept of Crop Duster Flight Path

• Thread starter Serious Max
  • Start date
In summary, the Y-Intercept in a crop duster flight path refers to the point where the flight path intersects with the Y-axis on a graph, representing the initial height of the crop duster. It is calculated by determining the point on the Y-axis where the flight path intersects and can be affected by factors such as wind speed, weight, and altitude. The Y-Intercept is important for assessing the efficiency and risks of the flight path, and while it can change during the flight, the initial Y-Intercept remains the most relevant point for analysis.
Serious Max

Homework Statement

A crop dusting airplane flying a constant speed of 120 mph is spotted 2 miles South and 1.5 miles East of the center of a circular irrigated field. The irrigated field has a radius of 1 mile. Impose a coordinate system as pictured, with the center of the field the origin (0,0). The flight path of the duster is a straight line passing over the labeled points P and Q. Assume that the point Q where the plane exits the airspace above the field is the Western-most location of the field. Answer these questions:

1. Find a linear equation whose graph is the line along
which the crop duster travels.

2. Relevant graph

8xQMv3u.png

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem is just an example given in the textbook, and here's their solution:

1. Take Q = (−1, 0) and S = (1.5,−2) = duster spotting point. Construct a line through Q and S. The slope is −0.8 = m and the line equation becomes:
y = −0.8x − 0.8And my question is where did this y = −0.8x − 0.8 come from? Is it y-intercept? I'd assume it should be maybe: y = −0.8x − 2

Physics news on Phys.org
maxpancho said:

Homework Statement

A crop dusting airplane flying a constant speed of 120 mph is spotted 2 miles South and 1.5 miles East of the center of a circular irrigated field. The irrigated field has a radius of 1 mile. Impose a coordinate system as pictured, with the center of the field the origin (0,0). The flight path of the duster is a straight line passing over the labeled points P and Q. Assume that the point Q where the plane exits the airspace above the field is the Western-most location of the field. Answer these questions:

1. Find a linear equation whose graph is the line along
which the crop duster travels.

2. Relevant graph

8xQMv3u.png

The Attempt at a Solution

The problem is just an example given in the textbook, and here's their solution:

1. Take Q = (−1, 0) and S = (1.5,−2) = duster spotting point. Construct a line through Q and S. The slope is −0.8 = m and the line equation becomes:
y = −0.8x − 0.8

And my question is where did this y = −0.8x − 0.8 come from? Is it y-intercept? I'd assume it should be maybe: y = −0.8x − 2

What is the value of y in your equation when x = 0? Does this equation match then match the diagram?

Do you know how to find the y-intercept of a linear equation?

Likes 1 person
@maxpancho: You have two points given on the line, ##(-1,0)## and ##(\frac 3 2, -2)##. Do you know how to write the equation of a straight line through two given points? Try it and see what you get.

Likes 1 person
Well, okay. So it's like I find b by taking a point (0,b) and then plug it into the origial equation. But that's what initially confused me click ...that they used y1 as it is.

But I think I understand now. It's just another way of writing an equation of a line. In the first example it is written in a slope-intercept form, which is y = mx + b. And thus here we must first find the y-intercept m and then plug it back into the original equation.

And in the second example it is written in a point-slope formula y = m(x − x1) + y1. Because I guess it is more convenient in this case, since m here would equal −2168140,17647058... But the equation is still valid, just not very practical.

So I figure I could write the equation from the initial example as: y = −0.8(x − 1.5) − 2, which gives the same y = −0.8x −0.8 (oh wait, so then there was no need to plug 0,b trying to find m)...

Is it correct?

Last edited:
maxpancho said:
Well, okay. So it's like I find b by taking a point (0,b) and then plug it into the origial equation. But that's what initially confused me click ...that they used y1 as it is.

But I think I understand now. It's just another way of writing an equation of a line. In the first example it is written in a slope-intercept form, which is y = mx + b. And thus here we must first find the y-intercept m and then plug it back into the original equation.

And in the second example it is written in a point-slope formula y = m(x − x1) + y1. Because I guess it is more convenient in this case, since m here would equal −2168140,17647058... But the equation is still valid, just not very practical.

So I figure I could write the equation from the initial example as: y = −0.8(x − 1.5) − 2, which gives the same y = −0.8x −0.8 (oh wait, so then there was no need to plug 0,b trying to find m)...

Is it correct?
Check whether it gives the right answer for two different values of x. If it does, it must be right.

1. What is a Y-Intercept in the context of a crop duster flight path?

The Y-Intercept in a crop duster flight path refers to the point where the flight path intersects with the Y-axis on a graph. This represents the initial height of the crop duster before it begins its descent.

2. How is the Y-Intercept of a crop duster flight path calculated?

The Y-Intercept is calculated by determining the point on the Y-axis where the flight path intersects and recording the corresponding Y-coordinate. This can be done by plotting the flight path on a graph or by using mathematical equations.

3. What factors can affect the Y-Intercept of a crop duster flight path?

The Y-Intercept can be affected by various factors such as wind speed and direction, the weight of the crop duster and its cargo, and the altitude and angle of the flight path. These factors can alter the initial height of the crop duster and therefore impact the Y-Intercept.

4. Why is the Y-Intercept of a crop duster flight path important?

The Y-Intercept is important because it provides valuable information about the initial height of the crop duster and its flight path. This information can be used to determine the efficiency and effectiveness of the crop dusting operation, as well as assess any potential risks or obstacles along the flight path.

5. Can the Y-Intercept of a crop duster flight path change during the flight?

Yes, the Y-Intercept of a crop duster flight path can change during the flight due to various factors such as wind conditions and adjustments made by the pilot. However, the initial Y-Intercept will remain the most important and relevant point for analyzing the flight path.