Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it?

1. May 11, 2005 #1
    is the sun moving simple harmonically up and down also?

2. jcsd
  3. May 11, 2005 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I'm sorry, this doesn't make sense at all.
    Are you asking if the sun exhibits a periodic motion?

4. May 11, 2005 #3

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What's 'up and down'...?The sun in an almost free space.3D picture.What's "up and down" in 3 dimensions...?

Daniel.

5. May 11, 2005 #4

mathman

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I interpret the original question asks if the eath's orbit around the sun is in a plane. If you use the center of the earth as a reference, it is not exactly. However, the center of mass of the earth-moon system orbits the sun in a plane (except for small perturbations due to the other planets).

6. May 12, 2005 #5
    isn't it that our galaxy travels in a dense area of asteroids once in 3 million years

7. May 12, 2005 #6

Integral

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Humm.... I think you need to re read your sources. We know little to nothing about that scale of motion, further, because the galaxy passes intergalatic material does not mean the the solar system will ever know about it. Perhaps you want to do some basic research and rephrase your question in a manner which makes sense.

8. May 12, 2005 #7

LURCH

Science Advisor

I think he's reffering to the orbit of the Sun around the gallactic center. If the robit is slightly off the galactic lpane, it has been proposed that the simple harmonic motion taking us from "slightly above" the ecliptic to "slightly below" would cause the Solar System to pass through the thick of the gallactic plane tice per orbit. Some have theorised that these passages increase the likelyhood of nearby gravitational disturbances pulling asteroids out of there orbits. It is then supposed that these asteroids are responsible for the periodicity of mass extinctions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?