1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is Java good to learn ?

1. Jul 29, 2004 #1
    Is Java good to learn ?
    I just bought JBuilder and installed but it is really slow whenever it is started.
    Why ?
    I think I won't study it and will choose SmallTakl because I see the word SmallTakl in most of the books in my library.
    Any help is appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 29, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

It depends entirely on what you want to do, and how much programming experience you already have. Smalltalk is not a very general-purpose language, and I would suggest that you not begin with it.

- Warren
  4. Jul 29, 2004 #3
    thank you, but you didt tell me why it slow ?
  5. Jul 29, 2004 #4
    JBuilder is a java app I believe. Java Apps (especially large ones like JBuilder) run slower on different architectures and older hardware.
  6. Jul 30, 2004 #5

Java is not known for its fast executing programs. JBuilder was made using Java (if I remember correctly; I don't use it anymore) so...

Why don't you study both?
  7. Jul 30, 2004 #6
    i'm not sure if this helps, but I am a computer science major, and java is the main language that we are learning with C++ as a very tight second. The more languages you learn the better, but I highly recommend that you learn either or both of these because it seems that is the way that things will be leaning in the future.

There are many different programs you can use to write java. My personal favorite is JCreator, I never really go the hang of using JBuilder. One of the professors at my school also wrote a program called MultiEd that lets you write programs for many different languages. It doesn't have any of the awesome features of JBuilder of JCreator, but its still easy to use.

What part of the JBuilder is running slow? If it is the part where you run the program, then it might be easier for you to go to your C Prompt and run the programs from there.
  8. Jul 31, 2004 #7
    Java is really good to learn .... there are pretty neat things one can do with it .... and ofcourse it provides one of the most extensive library i have seen for a plausible GUI.
    I would second daisyi on the editor ... JCreator is really good ... another editor worth a mention is NetBeans3.6 .... it is terribly slow in windows ... but it works pretty fast on linux .... and satisfies all my cravings for java programming under linux environment.

I haven't had much experience on smalltalk ... so i am not sure how good or bad it could be. Anyways .... its worth learning almost every language that exists on this planet and i do meant "almost every". :D

-- AI
  9. Jul 31, 2004 #8
    I would first learn C, then C++.
  10. Jul 31, 2004 #9
    All programming languages have the same expressive power to do computations. Then what makes one language "better" than another? Two things:
    (1) It's ease of use (how quick it is to learn, how easy it is to code in, etc.)
    (2) SUPPORT (this is the most important reason). How many big companies do you know who support Smalltalk? How many big companies do you know who support C/C++? Get the picture?

I disagree with: "its worth learning almost every language that exists on this planet..." There are too many computer languages out there (and you can make your own if you wanted). Same thing applies to spoken languages. What's the purpose of learning Icelandish (or whatever the speak in Iceland) if I'm living in Japan. What's the purpose of learning Smalltalk when I'm a Linux kernel hacker (and we only use C).
  11. Aug 1, 2004 #10
    well it was my own personal opinion. u see i have this fetish for learning languages (tho yet unsatisfied but given an opportunity someday it will be).

i feel every language has its own beauty .... that's why u have fans of C, fans of C++,fans of Java etc etc .... and one need not even start with scripts and u get fans of perl,shell and so on .... Something in those languages has attracted the hearts of a few and its my inner desire to know what it is ..... Well that makes the language worth enough to learn for me atleast. (ofcourse the same holds even for spoken languages but i am not particularly a linguist).

Disclaimer : i have said some loads of *bs* here doesn't necessarily make me smart or imply i know these languages :D
  12. Aug 1, 2004 #11
    First of all, java != slow. If you are writting a small application, then the overhead of having bytecode isn't all that usefull, but if you're writting a large application like for a server then runtime profilling can be really beneficial.

Secondly, i recommend downloading sun's sdk
    and getting a good text editor with syntax highlighting like vim, emacs, scite, or whatever. Compile it via command line. Untill you move onto larger and very graphical applications all those extra features are just distractions.
  13. Aug 1, 2004 #12
    There have been a number of good responses to your question.

The most important question is what you want to do with the programs that your write.

Java is one of the most useful languages if you are looking for a job.

java is one of the most useful languages if you want to do web development.

Java is one of the most useful languages if you want to learn object-oriented programming. which has advantages over procedural programming in many (but not all) ways.

Java is very good to learn. It is fun, easy, useful, and well-supported. Your conditions might be such that Java is not the best language. The fact that you are asking for our opinion makes it pretty obvious that Smalltalk is not a better alternative for you.
  14. Aug 1, 2004 #13
    Slow is a relative term so you have to pick some reference for comparison.

Last I heard, IBM had the fastest JVM around. I don't know if they still offer it for download though. I don't know if Sun's JVM is the current fastest.
  15. Aug 1, 2004 #14
    IBM Does, however, have the fastest compiler: jikes (look it up on google).
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?