Is John Edward Genuine?

• Thread starter Hanfonius
  • Start date
mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
When doctors prescribe antibiotics for patients suffering from a cold, could that not be construed to be a placebo? Many patients do ask for antibiotics, but as everybody knows, they cannot touch a virus.
No a placebo is a harmless compound with no theraputic role - antibiotics are far from harmless and contribute to all those wonderfully evolved antibiotic resistant bacteria that now live in our hospitals. An even worse one is handing out prescriptions for paracetemol /acetaminophen to everyone that gets free prescriptions, so that every senior citizen has 100x the lethal dose sitting in their bathroom cabinets - while at the same time restricting the number you can buy over the counter.

Many doctors would love to be able to prescribe vitamin C tablets or sugar pills instead but aren't allowed to - at least in the UK.

CEL
No a placebo is a harmless compound with no theraputic role - antibiotics are far from harmless and contribute to all those wonderfully evolved antibiotic resistant bacteria that now live in our hospitals. An even worse one is handing out prescriptions for paracetemol /acetaminophen to everyone that gets free prescriptions, so that every senior citizen has 100x the lethal dose sitting in their bathroom cabinets - while at the same time restricting the number you can buy over the counter.

Many doctors would love to be able to prescribe vitamin C tablets or sugar pills instead but aren't allowed to - at least in the UK.

Except for homeopathic preparations: distilled water and sugar pills. But when I mentioned honest doctors I obviously excluded homeopaths.
I misused the word honest. Most homeopaths are honestly deluded people.

Except for homeopathic preparations: distilled water and sugar pills. But when I mentioned honest doctors I obviously excluded homeopaths.
I misused the word honest. Most homeopaths are honestly deluded people.

... and folk medicine, herbal medicine, diet fads, faith healing, new age healing, chiropractic, acupuncture, naturopathy, massage, reflexology and music therapy.

There are people who are so desperate that they will turn to any of these alternative methods, and it is sad that they somehow lose confidence in traditional and proven methods. Psychic surgery, for example, would never be entertained in most enlightened societies, but there are still the believers. When our royal family advocate their trust in homeopathy, it must be distressing to our medical fraternity..?

statdad
Homework Helper
There is no doubt that the over prescription of antibiotics is a problem, but they are used (again, often used too often) because they work.

"Many doctors would love to be able to prescribe vitamin C tablets or sugar pills instead but aren't allowed to - at least in the UK."
That's because these don't do anything, just as (noted elsewhere) homeopathy, faith healing, etc, don't.

mgb_phys
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
That's because these don't do anything, just as (noted elsewhere) homeopathy, faith healing, etc, don't.
Thats their advantage, the problem is a generation that have get used to the idea that unless they come away from the doctors with a bottle of pills they aren't getting the proper treatment they are entitled to.
At the moment they are normally prescribed dangerous pain killers or worse than useless antibiotics.

russ_watters
Mentor
I'm not asking if lying is okay. I am asking if he provides a valuable service when he provides comfort to people who have suffered a loss.
I rather suspect that a psychologist would not consider self-delusion to be a reasonable technique for dealing with loss.

And whether or not you are deling with the question of fraud, the issue doesn't go away. It's still fraud to charge money for a service you are not providing. That said, I think that the fact that the victims are dual victims is worse than the fraud itself.

I would so love there to be an afterlife or a god or just to know we go on to another existence in some shape or form no one wants to think they just turn to ashes and the whole memory and experience we have with loved ones just goes to complete darkness, but for alsong as time began man asked this question or belief in a higher power but got no answer (not without a reasonable doubt PROOF) or to see the light so to speak so the answer is already there NO PROOF NO ANSWER = NO GOD NO AFTERLIFE NO FUTURE EXISTENCE. we basically are born to eat **** and die! oh for those still living we have pain and death to look forward to what a wonderful climax to a miserable existence...
Characters like Edward who exploit people's grief to line their own pockets are
the lowest of the low, barely one step above medical quacks and charlatons. and if you truly believe in your heart for this to be any different then you are completely and truly diluded and beyond help you might aswell also believe in the tooth fairy & santa claus.
sorry to sounds so doom and gloom but is best for people to know the truth however painful and disturbing this maybe to there beliefs and outlook on life or afterlife of which there is not plain and simple.

I totally agree with you! Characters like Edward who exploit people's grief to line their own pockets are the lowest of the low, barely one step above medical quacks and charlatons. and if you truly believe in your heart for this to be any different then you are completely and truly diluded and beyond help you might aswell also believe in the tooth fairy & santa claus.

I am reading these responses as to whether John Edward provides a 'service' to the bereaved: the mother who has lost her son in a terrible accident is assured that he didn't suffer, and that he is happy where he is.

If she believes in the afterlife, then she may well be consoled. In this instance, then John Edward has indeed provided a service.

It is in no way good at all to tell these people lies or con them or give them false hope it is the lowest of the low, people deserve the truth however painful this maybe there are far too many diluded people in the world beliving in things they cannot see, science has provided lots of facts to people which were misguided, in denial or ignorant to the truth.

This thread has been dead for two and a half years. There is a newer thread on John Edward here somewhere.

Either way, I think the answe is a flat: "yes, he's a genuine cold-reading fraud... what the hell did you expect?"