Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is Karl Rove dead?

1. Oct 30, 2008 #1

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If Obama wins and the Dems enjoy a relative landslide, will this mark the end of Rovian attack politics?

Before Rove, the goal was to build a consensus. But Rove had a new idea: Divide the nation and keep a majority. All that it takes is a fraction over 50% of the voters.

Well, he certainly succeeded in dividing the nation. But will this strategy win any more elections? It is reported that above all, the undecided voters are the most disgusted with personal attack politics.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 30, 2008 #2

Office_Shredder

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I don't think an Obama victory ends the Rovian philosophy, because Obama had such a fundraising advantage, and is clearly far more charismatic than McCain. Most candidates can't rely on those, so they can't copy Obama's tactics. Most people only became disgusted with McCain's attacks when it became obvious he was using them as a replacement for talking about the economy

4. Oct 30, 2008 #3
    I think Rovian political philosophy is dead for the time being. Although, I wouldn't rule it out from arising again. Maybe in the next 10 years or so.

5. Oct 30, 2008 #4

turbo

Gold Member

Dirty hard-knuckle politics didn't start with Rove, though he managed to elevate them to a high art and kept them in play full-time. If McCain loses, the Republicans will start figuring out better ways to disenfranchise voters and game the system so that they can steal future elections. The first thing that Obama should do is institute sweeping election reforms, with paper ballots for EVERY voter, and optical scanners to tabulate them. The technology is very low-tech, and if anomalies show up, the ballots can be re-tabulated with scanners or by hand, if necessary. Voting is a right. Accurate tabulation of the votes is a MUST for a nation that even pretends to be a democracy.

6. Oct 30, 2008 #5
    I believe it was Newt Gingrich (Go Pak)? who started the policy of attacking the opponent until he was so busy responding to the attacks that no issues could be addressed.

7. Oct 30, 2008 #6
    :rolleyes: seriously? the goal has never been to build a consensus. both sides have always gone after one another shamelessly. the only thing that has changed is that the current president has failed domestically, turning even old supporters against him. i don't expect much true bipartisanism, but a lot of talk claiming it. same as it ever was.

8. Oct 30, 2008 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The Republican party seeks to villify all liberals - not just one person. And tactics once reserved for the likes of Nixon and McCarthy are common. This was once the sanctuary of fringe idiots and crooks, but Rove and the Republicans, hate radio, and Fox, have turned half of the country against the other half.

9. Oct 30, 2008 #8

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

For that matter, people here, and one in particular, have repeatedly accused me of being a closet liberal just because I have supported Democrats of late. Anyone unhappy with the crook Bush is a liberal; if not unpatriotic!

The truth is that I may not agree with half of what Obama plans to do, but I don't care. I am voting for the man, not the issues. He's an incredibly smart and talented person with a good heart, and I firmly believe that he is uniquely positioned in history. I am motivated entirely by his qualities as a person and his potential for greatness. And Bush is a crook who has betrayed the nation, destroyed the economy, and is who is leaving a nation mired in two wars. This has absolutely nothing to do with being liberal or conservative.

McCains Palin pick was the nail in his coffin as far as Im concerned. He too has betrayed the nation. And members of his own party - pre-Rovian and mainstream Conservatives - say much the same thing.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  10. Oct 30, 2008 #9
    lol, you mean like Michele Bachmann? she got skewered!

11. Oct 30, 2008 #10

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Which half has turned against which? :rolleyes:

Here's some interesting attack politics from a few elections back....
    http://www.mikefrancesa.com/wordpress/?p=1511

I can't find the whole quote, but here's a narration put to video (as if it were a tv ad): http://politicalinquirer.com/2008/03/09/the-anti-jefferson-attack-ad-of-1800/

It goes much further than anything we see today.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2008
  12. Oct 30, 2008 #11
    Might as well post it here

CNN Rick Sanchez Catches McCain Spokesman Mike Goldfarb Lying

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 25, 2014
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?