Karl Rove: Death of an Attack Strategist?

• News
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary: Federalists actually tried to block his election and he had to be elected by the House of Representatives. The Federalists were the "Hate Radio" of their day, and the first target was Thomas Jefferson.If Obama wins and the Dems enjoy a relative landslide, will this mark the end of Rovian attack politics?In summary, the conversation discusses the impact of Rovian attack politics on the current political climate and whether an Obama victory would bring an end to this strategy. The conversation also delves into the history of attack politics, starting with Rove and going all the way back to the election of Thomas Jefferson. While some believe that Rovian tactics will continue to be used in the future, others argue that Obama's fundraising
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
If Obama wins and the Dems enjoy a relative landslide, will this mark the end of Rovian attack politics?

Before Rove, the goal was to build a consensus. But Rove had a new idea: Divide the nation and keep a majority. All that it takes is a fraction over 50% of the voters.

Well, he certainly succeeded in dividing the nation. But will this strategy win any more elections? It is reported that above all, the undecided voters are the most disgusted with personal attack politics.

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think an Obama victory ends the Rovian philosophy, because Obama had such a fundraising advantage, and is clearly far more charismatic than McCain. Most candidates can't rely on those, so they can't copy Obama's tactics. Most people only became disgusted with McCain's attacks when it became obvious he was using them as a replacement for talking about the economy

Ivan Seeking said:
If Obama wins and the Dems enjoy a relative landslide, will this mark the end of Rovian attack politics?

Before Rove, the goal was to build a consensus. But Rove had a new idea: Divide the nation and keep a majority. All that it takes is a fraction over 50% of the voters.

Well, he certainly succeeded in dividing the nation. But will this strategy win any more elections? It is reported that above all, the undecided voters are the most disgusted with personal attack politics.

I think Rovian political philosophy is dead for the time being. Although, I wouldn't rule it out from arising again. Maybe in the next 10 years or so.

Dirty hard-knuckle politics didn't start with Rove, though he managed to elevate them to a high art and kept them in play full-time. If McCain loses, the Republicans will start figuring out better ways to disenfranchise voters and game the system so that they can steal future elections. The first thing that Obama should do is institute sweeping election reforms, with paper ballots for EVERY voter, and optical scanners to tabulate them. The technology is very low-tech, and if anomalies show up, the ballots can be re-tabulated with scanners or by hand, if necessary. Voting is a right. Accurate tabulation of the votes is a MUST for a nation that even pretends to be a democracy.

I believe it was Newt Gingrich (Go Pak)? who started the policy of attacking the opponent until he was so busy responding to the attacks that no issues could be addressed.

Ivan Seeking said:

:rolleyes: seriously? the goal has never been to build a consensus. both sides have always gone after one another shamelessly. the only thing that has changed is that the current president has failed domestically, turning even old supporters against him. i don't expect much true bipartisanism, but a lot of talk claiming it. same as it ever was.

The Republican party seeks to villify all liberals - not just one person. And tactics once reserved for the likes of Nixon and McCarthy are common. This was once the sanctuary of fringe idiots and crooks, but Rove and the Republicans, hate radio, and Fox, have turned half of the country against the other half.

For that matter, people here, and one in particular, have repeatedly accused me of being a closet liberal just because I have supported Democrats of late. Anyone unhappy with the crook Bush is a liberal; if not unpatriotic!

The truth is that I may not agree with half of what Obama plans to do, but I don't care. I am voting for the man, not the issues. He's an incredibly smart and talented person with a good heart, and I firmly believe that he is uniquely positioned in history. I am motivated entirely by his qualities as a person and his potential for greatness. And Bush is a crook who has betrayed the nation, destroyed the economy, and is who is leaving a nation mired in two wars. This has absolutely nothing to do with being liberal or conservative.

McCains Palin pick was the nail in his coffin as far as I am concerned. He too has betrayed the nation. And members of his own party - pre-Rovian and mainstream Conservatives - say much the same thing.

Last edited:
Ivan Seeking said:
The Republican party seeks to villify all liberals - not just one person. And tactics once reserved for the likes of Nixon and McCarthy are common. This was once the sanctuary of fringe idiots and crooks, but Rove and the Republicans, hate radio, and Fox, have turned half of the country against the other half.

lol, you mean like Michele Bachmann? she got skewered!

Ivan Seeking said:
This was once the sanctuary of fringe idiots and crooks, but Rove and the Republicans, hate radio, and Fox, have turned half of the country against the other half.
Which half has turned against which? :rolleyes:

Here's some interesting attack politics from a few elections back...
Thomas Jefferson was attacked by ministers who accused him of being an “infidel” and an “unbeliever.” A Federalist cartoon depicted him as a drunken anarchist, and the president of Yale warned that if Jefferson came to power, “we may see our wives and daughters the victims of legal prostitution.” A Connecticut newspaper warned that his election would mean “murder, robbery, rape, adultery and incest will openly be taught and practiced” — though the paper, which is now the Hartford Courant, did apologize some years later.
http://www.mikefrancesa.com/wordpress/?p=1511

I can't find the whole quote, but here's a narration put to video (as if it were a tv ad): http://politicalinquirer.com/2008/03/09/the-anti-jefferson-attack-ad-of-1800/

It goes much further than anything we see today.

Last edited:
Might as well post it here

CNN Rick Sanchez Catches McCain Spokesman Mike Goldfarb Lying

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Who was Karl Rove?

Karl Rove was a political strategist and consultant who served as the Senior Advisor and Deputy Chief of Staff to former US President George W. Bush. He was also known as the "architect" of Bush's successful presidential campaigns.

2. When did Karl Rove pass away?

Karl Rove is still alive as of 2021. There is no information or indication of his death.

3. What is the significance of Karl Rove's role in politics?

Karl Rove was known for his strategic thinking and masterful tactics in political campaigns. He played a crucial role in the success of George W. Bush's presidential campaigns, and his methods have been studied and emulated by political strategists around the world.

4. What controversies was Karl Rove involved in?

Karl Rove has been involved in several controversies throughout his career, including his alleged involvement in the leak of CIA agent Valerie Plame's identity, his role in the firing of US attorneys, and his use of negative campaigning tactics against political opponents.

5. How did Karl Rove's death impact the political landscape?

As mentioned before, Karl Rove is still alive. Therefore, his death has not had any impact on the political landscape. However, his influence and legacy are still highly debated and studied in the world of politics.