1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is lambda a true force?

1. Feb 11, 2006 #1
    Lambda (the cosmological constant) is frequently refered to as a sort of "negative gravity": instead of attractive it's repulsive, and instead of getting weaker with distance it gets stronger.

However in General Relativity gravity is not regarded as a true force, but just as the manisfestation of spacetime's geometry on the movement of matter and energy.

1. Is lambda a true force or just a spacetime distortion like gravity?
    If a true force, is it expected to have a carrier particle associated?

2. Does lambda act on matter/energy, or on the fabric of spacetime itself? (would a region of spacetime devoid of any matter/energy stretch due to lambda? or only if it contains matter/energy?)

3. How the hell can we conceive of any influence that gets stronger with distance?
    Is not distance, by definition, a concept that "separates"? that makes 2 points in spacetime less likely (or needing longer time) to influence eachother?
    What could be a conceivable mechanism that allows lambda to have a stronger interaction with something distant than with something close?

4. Is lambda's influence supposed to propagate at the speed of light?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2006 #2
    Sorry I double-posted this question. I had it posted in "Physics/Relativity" then I thought it might better be here in Cosmology.
    I already got some answers in "Relativity".
    If the administrator wishes, he may move one of both, merge them or whatever.

4. Feb 12, 2006 #3

Chronos

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

An Einstein thing . . . Think about it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?