Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is LaTeX-capability available to others?

1. Mar 24, 2004 #1
    Sorry if this has been discussed, but I couldn't find it anwhere.

I am impressed -- no, astonished -- at this site's abilty to incorporate LaTeX. Does this capability come with vbulletin?

If not, is this capability available to other boards other than this one?
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 24, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

We thank this feature to our site's own genius Chroot
  4. Mar 24, 2004 #3
    Okay, but is he willing to share his ability with other board administrators?

Keep in mind that some institutions may be willing to pay for this capability. I certainly would if the price was reasonable.
  5. Mar 28, 2004 #4

Science Advisor

Yes, other boards have the ability.

here is one for phpBB

here is another one for phpBB

here is one for Invision

I wouldn't expect vbulletin to have many mods since it's not free software like most other forums. phpBB and Invision have the most mods.
  6. Apr 5, 2004 #5
    Speaking of TeX support for applications, is there some way to get it in something like AIM?

7. Apr 5, 2004 #6

Science Advisor

For a program like AIM, wouldn't the latex interpreter have to be on your friend's computer, not yours?
  8. Apr 5, 2004 #7
    I imagine both parties would want it... But that still doesn't change the question of whether or not such a thing exists.

9. Apr 5, 2004 #8
    You'd be suprised

10. Apr 5, 2004 #9
    So any ideas on AIM TeX?

I personally think it'd be pretty useful. It's difficult to express equations with just plain typesetting and its even worse over the phone. And then it's a major pain in the ass to have to prepare a .pdf document or a word document just to show one or two equations...

11. Apr 5, 2004 #10

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Well, I ain't writing it, that's for sure.

- Warren
  12. Apr 5, 2004 #11

13. Apr 5, 2004 #12
    I guess someone could just create the LaTeX equations using the offline program and take a screenshot of it and send the screenshot to the friend via AIM. Im pretty sure that is a little easier than putting it into a PDF.
  14. Apr 12, 2004 #13
    Where can you download an offline program to make the equations?

It'd be a huge help, as I help people quite frequently on AIM, and my current method of trying to draw various symbols or fractions in paint aren't too useful.
  15. Apr 12, 2004 #14
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?