Exploring the Dual Nature of Light: Is it a Wave or Particle?

In summary, light is a type of energy that travels as a wave and a type of energy that travels as a particle.
Quantum Velocity
I heart from my friend that light is both wave and particle but i don't know that is true or not.
So can you guy tell me what light actually is?
And how light travel from the source and then to our eye?

Physics news on Phys.org
Quantum Velocity said:
I heart from my friend

If you are interested in learning physics, it's better to find a good textbook.

Quantum Velocity said:
that light is both wave and particle but i don't know that is true or not.

It's a common pop science description, but it's not really accurate.

Quantum Velocity said:
can you guy tell me what light actually is?

No, but we can point you in the direction of scientific models of light that make good predictions. The best model we currently have is quantum electrodynamics, which is a quantum field theory; in this theory, light is modeled as a spin-1 quantum field. That doesn't really correspond to anything in our everyday experience; that's a key reason why pop science descriptions can't really teach you the physics.

Quantum Velocity said:
how light travel from the source and then to our eye?

This is much too broad a question for a PF thread. I would advise taking some time to learn the basics of quantum mechanics from a textbook.

Can you describe a much more specific scenario that raises a particular issue you're concerned about?

Likes Demystifier, NFuller and bhobba
Light can behave as both a wave and a particle. This is not something that can be answered in a few sentences, though. I would start with this video from Khan Academy

It's neither, but to allow lay persons to get a bit of a grip on QM lay texts often say it is. QM is a very hard subject to understand properly at the beginner level so liberties are taken. Here we do not take liberties but tell you the truth form the start. So I will repeat it - its neither particle or wave - technically it's excitation's in an underlying quantum electromagnetic field that permeates all of space. At the beginner level this very cheap book presents this correct view, although even it has issues, but nothing a beginner should worry about:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004ULVG9O/?tag=pfamazon01-20

You need a background beyond beginner level to understand the proper theory.

Now this is beyond B level and you will not understand it, but hopefullly you will glean a bit of the truth from it. Dont worrry if you don't though, I post it just in the hope you will get something from it:
http://www.physics.usu.edu/torre/3700_Spring_2015/What_is_a_photon.pdf

Thanks
Bill

Likes vanhees71
Isn't there a FAQ entry that answers this question?

Likes vanhees71

1. Is light a wave or a particle?

Light exhibits properties of both a wave and a particle, depending on the context in which it is being observed. This is known as wave-particle duality.

2. How do we know that light is a wave?

Several experiments, such as the double-slit experiment, have shown that light behaves like a wave, exhibiting interference and diffraction patterns. Additionally, the wave nature of light is explained by Maxwell's equations, which describe the behavior of electromagnetic waves.

3. How do we know that light is a particle?

The photoelectric effect, in which light causes the emission of electrons from a material, provides evidence for the particle nature of light. This phenomenon can only be explained by treating light as a stream of particles, known as photons.

4. Which theory is correct, wave or particle?

Both the wave and particle theories of light are necessary to fully explain its behavior. Depending on the situation, one theory may be more useful or accurate than the other. For example, the wave theory is used to explain phenomena such as diffraction and interference, while the particle theory is used to explain the photoelectric effect.

5. Can light be both a wave and a particle at the same time?

Yes, according to the principles of quantum mechanics, light can exist as both a wave and a particle simultaneously. This is known as wave-particle duality and is one of the fundamental principles of modern physics.