Is light composed of strings?

In summary, the conversation discusses the idea that light, in relation to particles, could potentially be composed of strings according to string theory. The question is raised about whether there is any evidence or support for this concept from publications or authors. The response mentions that in string theory, every fundamental particle is considered a vibrating string instead of a point or sphere. There is also mention of WFHagen's Energywhirl, which could potentially be seen as string geometry and could explain various phenomena such as pair creation, particle geometry, and forces like gravity. The possibility of the string community being interested in this concept is also brought up.
Chris Walters
I am asking is light as it is related to particles could be (wave/particle theory)
could be composed of strings.

http://www.geocities.com/physicsquestion2007

Has anyone seen any publications or authors who support this idea?

Chris Walters

Physics news on Phys.org
Umm well in String theory Yes >.< In string theory every fundamental particle is no longer a point or sphere, but a vibrating string.

Geometry?

Gib Z said:
Umm well in String theory Yes >.< In string theory every fundamental particle is no longer a point or sphere, but a vibrating string.

Is there any convergence upon a geometry of these vibrating strings? I've often thought WFHagen's Engergiewirbel could be thought of as string geometry - though I'm not sure he would agree. What I found exciting was that this single force vector (string?) could be used explain pair creation/anilliation, particle geometry, weak and strong NF, and even gravity. I would think the string community would resonate with it. :)

1. Is there evidence that light is composed of strings?

Currently, there is no concrete evidence that light is composed of strings. However, the concept of string theory suggests that all particles, including photons (particles of light), are made up of tiny vibrating strings.

2. How does string theory explain the properties of light?

String theory proposes that the properties of light, such as its speed, energy, and wavelength, are determined by the vibrational patterns of the strings. These vibrations create different modes of energy, which manifest as different particles with distinct properties.

3. Can light be both a wave and a string?

According to string theory, light can be both a wave and a string. The wave-like behavior of light is explained by the vibrations of the strings, while the string-like nature of light is attributed to its tiny, one-dimensional structure.

4. How does string theory relate to the concept of spacetime?

String theory suggests that the universe is made up of multiple dimensions, including the three dimensions of space and one dimension of time. These dimensions are intertwined and interact with each other, and the vibrations of strings determine the properties of spacetime.

5. Is string theory widely accepted in the scientific community?

String theory is a highly debated and controversial topic in the scientific community. While some scientists support and continue to research string theory, others argue that it lacks empirical evidence and cannot be tested, making it purely theoretical at this point in time.