1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is log( x^(-y) ) = -y, somebody told me this.

1. Feb 20, 2005 #1
    Can one under any circumstances say that log x^(-y) = -y ?? I'm having some truble with this myself, but someone told me it is so... :confused:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 20, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

In the complex numbers,your equality (or equation,but i don't know which the unknown is) makes perfect sense...

Daniel.

4. Feb 20, 2005 #3
    Well, I'm aware of the fact that log(x^(-y))=-y*log(x). But you're saying that what I wrote before makes sense only with complex numbers?

5. Feb 20, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well,that "-y" has to be greater than 0,in order to make sense among the reals...So "y" should be negative.

Daniel.

6. Feb 21, 2005 #5

VietDao29

Homework Helper

Hi,
    I think that y can be whatever you like (positive, negative, or 0). eg: You can have:
    [tex]\lg{10^{-3}} = -3[/tex]
    So I think:
    [itex]\log_{a}{x^{-y}} = -y[/itex] only if a = x
    Hope I am right,
    Viet Dao,

7. Feb 21, 2005 #6

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes,apparently my discussion skipped the logarithm part...:mad: Disussed only the exponential.His initial equation is very valid within the reals for x>0 and has the solution,for [itex] y\neq 0 [/itex],[itex] x=e [/itex],the Euler's number.

Daniel.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?