Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is Lorentz group correct?

1. Jan 15, 2007 #1
    Is Lorentz group correct?, my question is let's be a group A so the Lorentz Groups is a subgroups of it so [tex] A>L [/tex] (L=Lorentz group , G= Galilean group) of course if we had an element tending to 0 so:

[tex] A(\hbar)\rightarrow L [/tex] (Group contraction)

so for small h the groups A and L are the same and the laws of physics are invariant under L or A transform, but a pure quantum level when Planck's h is different from 0 the A and L group would be completely different.

this 'Group contraction' would be an analogue of:

[tex] L(\beta)\rightarrow G [/tex] where 'beta' is v/c for small velocities we find that law of physics are invariant under Galilean or Lorentz transform.

the question is what would be the 'A' group?, could we find a group A so contracted in elements b=v/c or e=h gives us the Lorentz or Galiean groups and that the transformations (Lorentz, galilean,..) are linear?.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 15, 2007 #2

mma

It's interesting.

I think you mean something like this:Einstein and Group Contractions, isn't it?

I am afraid that I hear the phrase "group contraction" now at the first time, so I know nothing about this, but it seems to me very interesting. I hope that you will find an expert of this topic here; I will read you with pleasure.

4. Jan 15, 2007 #3

Chris Hillman

Science Advisor

I am familiar with contraction, but Kevin's post appears too incoherent for me to make out his question.

A possible reference for the notion of contraction would be Sharpe, Differential Geometry, a textbook on Cartan geometry. This is a notion which arises naturally in Lie theory and which can be used to relate various Lie groups by examining their Lie algebras.

5. Jan 16, 2007 #4

mma

Could you give a web reference for a brief summary of group contraction (perhaps with special regard to Lorentz-group)? I mean something like a Wikipedia article.

6. Jan 16, 2007 #5

Chris Hillman

Science Advisor

[screetch]Wikipedia?!!!![/screetch]

Two seconds with Google yielded this:

http://eom.springer.de/C/c025850.htm

7. Jan 16, 2007 #6

robphy

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

And another two seconds yields
    http://www.pnas.org/cgi/reprint/39/6/510
    E. Inönü, E.P. Wigner, "On the contraction of groups and their representations" Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. USA , 39 (1953) pp. 510–524

Instead of contraction, a similar term [in the "opposite direction"] used in the literature is "deformation",
    e.g., http://www.numdam.org/numdam-bin/fitem?id=PMIHES_1998__S88__73_0
    Faddeev, Ludvig, "A mathematician's view of the development of physics." Publications Mathématiques de l'IHÉS, S88 (1998), p. 73-79

Last edited: Jan 16, 2007
  8. Jan 16, 2007 #7

mma

Thank you, robphy and Chris!
    Now reading...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?