Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is Maria Teresa Thierstein Simoes-Ferreira Heinz Kerry an asset or a problem to overc

1. Oct 25, 2004 #1
    Laura Bush has an approval rating of 74% (Gallup Poll). Teresa Heinz Kerry has an approval rating in the 30s --- with this, the influences for one candidate are almost certainly positive, while for the other, almost certainly negative.

So -- why doesn’t the Kerry camp stick Teresa on the shelf and be done with her? Teresa doing nothing means doing no harm at this late date – and putting her out there will only draw continuing comparisons to the highly popular Laura Bush. In addition, I doubt very seriously that the perceptions voters have of Teresa will change much over the next week or so, short of Teresa adding "Mother" to her name, and there is always that chance she will lose track and say or do something ----- atypical. Is this what the Kerry camp really wants, despite their statement to the contrary. I can't believe it. I have to wonder if she is still out there due to her personal relationship with the Senator. Has Kerry taken a hard position on this matter?

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,11069-1301970,00.html

And so – the ominous last words.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 25, 2004 #2
    Would you want to be the one to try to tell her not to speak up?

Editted to add:

Remember, John Kerry's mother didn't necessarily tell Theresa, "Integrity, integrity, integrity."

4. Oct 25, 2004 #3
    Do you honestly think anyone says "Well, I do like John Kerry's policies alot more, and George Bush has been a horrible President, but John Kerry's wife does say things that aren't incredibly lady-like, and George Bush's wife just seems to sit there. You know, I think I'll vote Bush, I'd hate to see how Teresa would decorate the Lincoln Bedroom."

5. Oct 25, 2004 #4

Gokul43201

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I wouldn't be surprised.

6. Oct 25, 2004 #5
    I dunno, I honestly don't think anyone who would be swayed by the candidates wives would honestly be voting for Kerry anyway. People like that are more like the "George Bush kicks ass, he wears jeans and lives in Texas and stuff, he's like all cowboy-ified and crap like that"

7. Oct 25, 2004 #6
    Are you kidding, Teresa is your typical liberal poster girl. A frumpy, frustrated old broad on a high intake diet of Valium.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2004
  8. Oct 25, 2004 #7

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Here is what she has been doing since her first husband died.
    http://www.hfp.heinz.org/

9. Oct 26, 2004 #8
    Ivan, don't you understand how public perception workds? She can do all the philanthropic work that she can want, help tons and tons of people by giving away her money etc., but so long as she's an outspoken woman with some sort of accent, no one will like her. People much prefer the coked-up mannequin look that Laura Bush offers, just sitting there and smiling, smiling, smiling...

What does that have to do with people being swayed by the candidates wives?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2004
  10. Oct 26, 2004 #9

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Last night on The News Hour, on PBS, they quoted something that Bush said while Governer. He said that Laura is the perfect wife for a politician.

In short, she knows her place. She keeps her mouth shut. Good little Laura.

11. Oct 26, 2004 #10

So long as she gives it away and not the U.S. Government in the form of deficit reduction and economic growth, not to mention entitlements like health care.

The Kerrys paid 12.8% of their income in taxes last year, all legally, while the average American paid about 20%.

12. Oct 26, 2004 #11

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I paid about 12%.

Oh yes, she works for free. She refuses to be paid for her work.

13. Oct 26, 2004 #12
    Yes, but you don't make millions.

Doesn't get paid by whom, herself? Smart gal, avoid more taxes.

14. Oct 26, 2004 #13

Ivan Seeking

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You have no idea what I make. I see your mind is made up already.

And if she was paid you would accuse her of milking the charity.

A Bush fan no doubt.

15. Oct 26, 2004 #14
    OK, a valid response, I am indeed making an assumption. That assumption being that you do not make millions like the Kerrys.

You are correct that you could alternatively be a liar about the taxes you paid, or a millionaire who manipulates the tax system.

I appologize profusely for assuming you were the better of the three options. Feel free to correct my error if you wish...

Because I don't care for Teresa Heinz-Kerry, you make the assumption that I'm a Bush supporter? I thought that's exactly what we were saying was silly.

Further more, your assumptions about what I mean does not identify my vote nor my ideology. Especially since I'll I've done is ask questions and state facts (not including my comment about your wages).

16. Oct 26, 2004 #15

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

The only first lady/first lady "candidate" that I've had a strong opinion about in recent memory is Hillary Clinton. I didn't much like Bill, but he was elected. She wasn't.

From what I understand (I haven't paid much attention), Heinz-Kerry mostly just speaks her mind (a opposed to towing the party line or humming "stand by your man" while drawing up divorce papers like Hyp-I mean Hillary). She's ok by me.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2004
  17. Oct 26, 2004 #16
    You think you had problems with the unelected people in the Clinton whitehouse? Oy, just imagine how people like me feel about that meshuggenah Paul Wolfowitz. And talk about his boss, oy gavult, what a buncha unelected crazys we have running our lives.

You pretty much got it.

18. Oct 27, 2004 #17

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Whoa, hold the phone there buddy - Wolfowitz may not be elected, but he was selected by the president (presumably for his qualifications for the job), and confirmed by Congress. He has a real job in government. There's a world of difference between that and the First Lady.

19. Oct 27, 2004 #18
    Oh man, imagine if the first lady had to be aproved by Congress.

That would be great. :rofl:

20. Oct 28, 2004 #19
    We all know Hillary ran the world for eight years, and if Teresa appears dangerous or risky, then the subconscious effect would be to elan away from that, she will after all have an effect on her husband while he is in office. No one here can say spouses do not have a strong influence on each other.

21. Oct 28, 2004 #20

kat

did anyone see the pbs special where Terry heinz kerry was talking about the first lady possibly holding a cabinet position?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?