Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is mass an illusion?

1. Apr 18, 2005 #1

wolram

Gold Member

Is mass imaginary? I am only a observer of science so please excuse
    blatant miss use of it.
    It seems to me that Mass is only "given" to a particle via an unfound
    field, "the higgs", I know that if an object hits me it will hurt, but i am
    also a composition of fields, could it be that mass is only a human
    concept and that action reaction is purely in the fields interactions?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 18, 2005 #2

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Is a table an illusion just because it "really" exists of gazillions of atoms with lots of empty space between them?

4. Apr 18, 2005 #3

wolram

Gold Member

Is a table an illusion just because it "really" exists of gazillions of atoms with lots of empty space between them?
    Yes to us the table exists, but would the table be "felt" by the field.

5. Apr 18, 2005 #4

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

What do you mean by field feelings?

6. Apr 18, 2005 #5

wolram

Gold Member

One problem in science is that MASS "has" to be given to particles by
    some, as yet to be found mechanism, so all we have to date is "fields",
    if this magical giver of mass is not found, then action, reaction must be
    a product of the fields, thus mass may only have meaning to "life forms".

7. Apr 18, 2005 #6

StatusX

Homework Helper

If mass is caused by a field, then that field is what mass is. If it is caused by something else, then that is what mass is. I don't see your point.

8. Apr 18, 2005 #7
    what color is the table

and can you hear the table (when you hit it), see the table, smell the table, feel the table, (and if you are brave) taste the table?

For each one you answer yes in, it exist in that way. For the avearage human, the moon does not exist in a way it can be felt, but it does exist in a way it can be seen, and it can exist in a way that it affects earth with its gravitainional pull.

9. Apr 18, 2005 #8

wolram

Gold Member

For each one you answer yes in, it exist in that way. For the avearage human, the moon does not exist in a way it can be felt, but it does exist in a way it can be seen, and it can exist in a way that it affects earth with its gravitainional pull.

Gravitational pull yes, but human sences are nothing but learn reactions to
    stimuli, gravitational pull is in the field theory, human sences are not.

10. Apr 19, 2005 #9
    philosofically speaking, I have not much to say about mass because I don't find a description and definition of it that I need to derive ideas. But scientifically speaking, the hypothesis that mass is an ilsuion created by men has been there for centuries, even milenias. But in modert scientce, especially in physics, if it was discovered that mass was an illusion it owuld have horrible consequences because many of the formulas, theories, laws, concepts and ideas use and have on them the axiom of mass. If it stopos being an axiom, the only other fundamental concept apart from this one is space, and time, so resumed the only one left would be dimensions. My question is, would science be able to be stable with only one brick in the bottom? it seems hard, and it also seems that science is growing and building like an upside-down pyramid.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?