Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is math a good thing to study? is it broad?

1. Jan 29, 2005 #1
    Hey
    Is math a good thing to study for someone who wants a broad education and a challenging one.Also is math extermy heavy in the number of courses one most take.I love math but like a lot of other things(economics physics computer science biology) to so i want to easily combine them

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 29, 2005 #2

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Maths is not broad,it's VAST.If you "love" it,that's a good think,it means you won't be spendin 2 much time understanding its subleties...

However,it's important to know what u REALLY WANT.

Daniel.

4. Jan 29, 2005 #3
    thanks but...

hey thanks but what do you mean by vast?
    also do you know what the requierments for the degree are?

5. Jan 29, 2005 #4

dextercioby

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I cannot help with the second part,maybe a mathematician will...
    I meant it's simply "vast"...Too much to claim you know enough...

Daniel.

6. Jan 29, 2005 #5

mathwonk

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    2015 Award

things have changed a lot, but at harvard in the 1960's the requirements for a math degree were: "advanced calculus and any other 6 courses".

the moral is that calculus is the main thing, and advanced calculus at that.

linear algebra is also basic, but that is a background subject for advanced calculus.

7. Jan 30, 2005 #6

CTS

Math is definitely a fun subject to study and combines well with other majors. I'm currently in college majoring in math/economics and the combination is great. It also overlaps well with physics and computer science. The structure of a math degree is pretty much what you make of it. Requirements at my school are Calc I/II/Multi, Linear Algebra, Foundations of Mathematics, and your choice of a couple of electives. You can pretty much study as much or as little beyond the requirements as you want. If you're double majoring with say computer science and are looking to go into a computer-oriented field, it would make sense to maximize the comp sci courses you're taking. On the other hand, if you plan on doing graduate study in mathematics, it makes sense to go far beyond the requirements.

8. Feb 5, 2005 #7

tc

wt job will u do after studying major maths/econ ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?