Is math a good thing to study? is it broad?

• Thread starter stjimmy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Study
In summary, the conversation discusses whether math is a good subject to study for someone looking for a broad and challenging education, as well as what the requirements for a math degree are. It is mentioned that math is a vast subject and while it is enjoyable to study, it is important to know what one truly wants. The requirements for a math degree at Harvard in the 1960s were advanced calculus and 6 other courses, with calculus being the main focus. It is noted that math combines well with other majors such as economics, physics, and computer science, and the structure of a math degree can be tailored to one's interests. The conversation ends with a question about potential job opportunities after studying math and economics.
stjimmy
Hey
Is math a good thing to study for someone who wants a broad education and a challenging one.Also is math extermy heavy in the number of courses one most take.I love math but like a lot of other things(economics physics computer science biology) to so i want to easily combine them

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Maths is not broad,it's VAST.If you "love" it,that's a good think,it means you won't be spendin 2 much time understanding its subleties...

However,it's important to know what u REALLY WANT.

Daniel.

thanks but...

hey thanks but what do you mean by vast?
also do you know what the requierments for the degree are?

stjimmy said:
hey thanks but what do you mean by vast?
also do you know what the requierments for the degree are?

I cannot help with the second part,maybe a mathematician will...
I meant it's simply "vast"...Too much to claim you know enough...

Daniel.

things have changed a lot, but at harvard in the 1960's the requirements for a math degree were: "advanced calculus and any other 6 courses".

the moral is that calculus is the main thing, and advanced calculus at that.

linear algebra is also basic, but that is a background subject for advanced calculus.

Math is definitely a fun subject to study and combines well with other majors. I'm currently in college majoring in math/economics and the combination is great. It also overlaps well with physics and computer science. The structure of a math degree is pretty much what you make of it. Requirements at my school are Calc I/II/Multi, Linear Algebra, Foundations of Mathematics, and your choice of a couple of electives. You can pretty much study as much or as little beyond the requirements as you want. If you're double majoring with say computer science and are looking to go into a computer-oriented field, it would make sense to maximize the comp sci courses you're taking. On the other hand, if you plan on doing graduate study in mathematics, it makes sense to go far beyond the requirements.

wt job will u do after studying major maths/econ ?

1. Is math a useful subject to study?

Yes, math is a highly useful subject to study. It is the foundation of many fields such as science, technology, engineering, and finance. It also teaches critical thinking, problem-solving, and logical reasoning skills which are valuable in many aspects of life.

2. Is math a difficult subject to study?

While some people may find math challenging, it is a subject that can be learned and mastered with practice and dedication. It is important to have a positive attitude and approach to learning math, and seek help when needed.

3. Is math a broad subject?

Yes, math is a broad subject that covers various topics such as arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, and more. It also has applications in many different fields and industries, making it a versatile subject to study.

4. What are the benefits of studying math?

Studying math can lead to many benefits such as improved problem-solving skills, increased logical reasoning abilities, and enhanced critical thinking skills. It can also open up opportunities for career advancement in fields such as science, technology, and finance.

5. Can anyone study math, or do you have to be naturally good at it?

Anyone can study math and improve their skills with practice and determination. While some people may have a natural aptitude for math, it is a subject that can be learned and understood by anyone with the right approach and resources.