Is math an actual language?

• I
  • Thread starter frankin garcia
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Language
In summary, math is considered a language because it has its own symbols, rules, and structure for communication and problem-solving. It is different from other languages in that it is universal and has a precise and logical structure. Unlike other languages, math cannot be translated because its symbols and rules are the same regardless of culture or spoken language. While having a strong understanding of math can make it easier to communicate, anyone can learn the basics of math as a language. Viewing math as a language can also have benefits such as improving communication and understanding in problem-solving situations and promoting collaboration between people from different backgrounds.
frankin garcia
Could you translate any and all forms of math to english, spanish, german, whatever needed

Mathematics news on Phys.org
frankin garcia said:
Could you translate any and all forms of math to english, spanish, german, whatever needed
You can "read" any equation into most any language but often it is NOT a good "translation". There are things that the math says that are somewhere between difficult and impossible to express in human language. The best example I can think of is the pop-science "explanation" for Hawking Radiation, which goes like this: virtual particles pop in and out of existence just outside the event horizon and one of them falls in and the other escapes, thus reducing the overall mass of the black hole by a tiny amount. Hawking himself has said that that "explanation" was just a heurestic (not a real explanation, more like an analogy) that he came up with because it was as close as he could come to expressing the math in English.

Likes pinball1970
1573057224738.png

Rough translation:

Let there be light!

• Haha
Likes member 587159, pinball1970, Klystron and 2 others
phinds said:
You can "read" any equation into most any language but often it is NOT a good "translation". There are things that the math says that are somewhere between difficult and impossible to express in human language.
I interpreted the OP's question the other way 'round.

Can you express any human language message in mathematical form?

Although, I think that question is distinct from the question in the subject line.

Math is not a language in the sense of other human languages as German, French, etc. as it has a specific subject matter( unlike human languages which are general-purpose). It _uses_ a language, a symbolic one ,to communicate its content.

Last edited:
Likes symbolipoint
frankin garcia said:
I believe so.
Any collection of mathematics symbols can be translated into whatever human language is desired, provide that the language includes the concepts that are being discussed. (Some languages don't have words for numbers larger than two, or so I've heard.)

For example, the simple equation "2 X 3 = 6" would be read by a Spanish speaker as "dos por tres son seis."
A more complicated example might be ##\sqrt{x^2 + y^2}## which could be read in English as "the square root of the sum of the squares of x and y."

Mathematics symbols are shortcut abbreviations for words in English, Spanish, German, or whatever other human language the readers speak.
DaveC426913 said:
I interpreted the OP's question the other way 'round.
Which is not what the OP asked. There's a big difference between translating a math expression or equation into a particular language, and translating some phrase or sentence into mathematics symbols.

Likes frankin garcia
Mark44 said:
Which is not what the OP asked.
Ah. Rereading it, I concur.

A less interesting question, IMO.

Likes frankin garcia
frankin garcia said:

There have been, and are, English, Spanish, and German mathematicians who expressed their mathematical thoughts in their native languages. Is that what you're asking about?

Likes frankin garcia
I suspect that the context for this is a recently closed thread of the OP's.

I agree that you can express a mathematical expression in any language that has the necessary symbols. But, as @phinds notes, sometimes the concepts being expressed are nigh-impossible to explain in natural language.

Likes Klystron and phinds
This website is fertile af with potential,
So we can say math in english.. does this me we can solve any math problem just by talking about it, no papers or pencil, no calculators, just 2 human mouths, is this possible?

Last edited by a moderator:
frankin garcia said:
So we can say math in english.. does this me we can solve any math problem just by talking about it, no papers or pencil, no calculators, just 2 human mouths, is this possible?
Sure.

Having connected each pair of geometric vertices of an n-dimensional hypercube to obtain a complete graph on 2n vertices, and having coloured each of the edges of this graph either red or blue, what is the upper bound (not the lower bound) on the smallest value of n for which every such colouring contains at least one single-coloured complete subgraph on four coplanar vertices?

No pencils, pen or calculators allowed.
Talk amongst yourselves.
o0)
(Hint: It's large.)

Likes WWGD and Ibix
frankin garcia said:
This is different from what you asked in the opening post. To answer your question, some problems are so complicated that it wouldn't be possible for two humans to keep all the steps in mind without writing them down.

The question has been asked and answered, and the thread is now closed.

1. Is math considered a language?

Yes, math is considered a language because it has its own symbols, rules, and syntax that allow us to communicate and convey information.

2. How is math different from other languages?

Math is different from other languages because it is a universal language that is not tied to any specific culture or region. It also relies heavily on logic and abstract thinking, rather than words and grammar.

3. Can you communicate solely with math?

It is possible to communicate solely with math, but it may be limited in certain contexts. Math is often used in conjunction with other languages to fully convey complex ideas and concepts.

4. Is math a natural or artificial language?

Math is considered an artificial language because it was created by humans for specific purposes, such as solving problems and describing the world around us.

5. Can math be translated into other languages?

Yes, math can be translated into other languages, but it may require some adjustments and interpretations to accurately convey the same meaning. This is because different languages may have different ways of expressing mathematical concepts.